Waiting list for a watch!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
The fake Rolex I bought, from a street vendor in London about 20 years ago, is still going strong. Just had a few changes of battery in that time.
I have never seen the point of a fake expensive watch over a normal watch. It has to be a status thing? It always feel like me putting a Bentley badge on a Ford Mondeo. Sorry best example I can come up with.

I can understand that @User33236 enjoys the actual product, not my cup of tea but a clear appreciation for it and I get the feeling its not because it display assumed wealth. I always have the feeling the market for fakes is tackling a complete different appeal one for the people who want to look like they have the dosh, but don't or won't spend it on a watch. Its quite intriguing to be honest. I did laugh many moons ago when someone I know bought one and it clapped out month later two thing he moaned and moaned about it but still farking wore it for a month or more which made even less sense. He got really pissed off with me asking the time.

J1888

Über Member
I have never seen the point of a fake expensive watch over a normal watch. It has to be a status thing? It always feel like me putting a Bentley badge on a Ford Mondeo. Sorry best example I can come up with.

It's not really, because your Mondeo would still look like a Mondeo, but with a Bentley badge. 'Good' fakes look like a real watch and replicate the movement etc, so perhaps a better comparison is those drivers who buy the 'kit' to turn a Toyota MR2 into a Ferrari.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A fake rolex for a fiver, which after all, keeps better time than one of those old fashioned clockwork rolexes is great fun - especially if it looks ok at least from a distance. Particularly entertaining if catches the eye of a real watch geek. A former boss of mine was given a very nice looking "patek phillipe" as a bit of fun from a Hong Kong business associate. He managed to flash it in just the right company which really put out a flash rolex owner who was jeallous of this semingly £50k Patek. My boss pretended to have no idea of its value saying his sister had bought it him having made a few bob in the city

OP
OP
U

User33236

I really don’t see the point in fake anything. If you can’t, or won’t, buy the real thing then buy a genuine item you do want within what you are prepared to pay.

A higher end watch isn’t a status symbol in my opinion. It simply says to me that the owner appreciates a luxury item.

My daily watch is a Tag I bought almost a decade ago.

OP
OP
U

User33236

A fake rolex for a fiver, which after all, keeps better time than one of those old fashioned clockwork rolexes is great fun - especially if it looks ok at least from a distance. Particularly entertaining if catches the eye of a real watch geek. A former boss of mine was given a very nice looking "patek phillipe" as a bit of fun from a Hong Kong business associate. He managed to flash it in just the right company which really put out a flash rolex owner who was jeallous of this semingly £50k Patek. My boss pretended to have no idea of its value saying his sister had bought it him having made a few bob in the city

Might be ‘fun’ but looking ok from a distance? Nah, not for me.

MarkF

Guru
Fakes can often be spotted at great distance, the bracelet is usually the giveaway. It's a murky world, fakes and homages, not sure there is a significant difference, but people will pay good money for a homage whilst looking down their nose at the guy with a fake. I bought a Seiko 5 automatic once from Ebay, it arrived and was quite obviously a quartz watch, I thought "Who would go to the trouble of making a fake watch of an original that costs only £50"? Then I found out that there are fake Casios. :wacko:

I love watches, been selling & collecting for over 20 years, it's been great fun and I am sitting on a very tidy and mostly accidental profit, not that I would part with any.

MarkF

Guru
I have this, there is no other one in existence. I missed it's sale after it was made available and was gutted but kept flattering the owner, a few years on he offered it to me, unworn. I was delighted and wondered what he'd want for it, this is going back a decade but I'd have happily paid, er, a l.o.t of money for it. He said he only wanted what he'd paid for it, a few hundred quid, as he "knew" me.:wahhey:

Ollech and Wajs 1960's NOS (New Old Stock) all-steel, 40mm case with screw-on-back. It also features a rotating bezel, screw-down crown and acrylic crystal with magnified date. The movement is the Swiss made, ETA 2824-2 automatic with quick set date and hacking seconds. The O&W dial is black with luminous figures.

rlt-ow-special.jpg

OP
OP
U

User33236

I have this, there is no other one in existence. I missed it's sale after it was made available and was gutted but kept flattering the owner, a few years on he offered it to me, unworn. I was delighted and wondered what he'd want for it, this is going back a decade but I'd have happily paid, er, a l.o.t of money for it. He said he only wanted what he'd paid for it, a few hundred quid, as he "knew" me.:wahhey:

Ollech and Wajs 1960's NOS (New Old Stock) all-steel, 40mm case with screw-on-back. It also features a rotating bezel, screw-down crown and acrylic crystal with magnified date. The movement is the Swiss made, ETA 2824-2 automatic with quick set date and hacking seconds. The O&W dial is black with luminous figures.

View attachment 390178
Nice! It is difficult to find someone who can service it if required?

OP
OP
U

User33236

No matter what mate wait for what you want as nothing will bug you more if you get something else.

When I retire I am having an Aston Martin and I don’t care how long I have to wait !
I’m normally an impulsive buyer, even on large items such as the home I live in now (no regrets though as still love it), but this is something I have wanted for a while so am prepared to wait this one out.

Had been looking at other watches over the past few days but my first choice keeps drawing me back so its a done deal.

All the legwork I can do is done and now just need to have patience and wait on a phone call.

Good luck in getting your Aston Martin :okay:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
No matter what mate wait for what you want as nothing will bug you more if you get something else.

When I retire I am having an Aston Martin and I don’t care how long I have to wait !

One of the stage crew at the Phoenix Theatre in London was known for being a bit of a spendthrift but he excused it by saying he was saving up for a Porsche. At the opening night of the Merchant of Venice in 1989 he showed up at the red carpet to collect Dustin Hoffman in the Porsche he'd saved 5 years to buy. When I met him in 1990 he was saving up for a Cessna.

I’m normally an impulsive buyer, even on large items such as the home I live in now (no regrets though as still love it), but this is something I have wanted for a while so am prepared to wait this one out.

Had been looking at other watches over the past few days but my first choice keeps drawing me back so its a done deal.

All the legwork I can do is done and now just need to have patience and wait on a phone call.

Good luck in getting your Aston Martin :okay:

Good things come to those who wait !

Hang in there it will be worth it

Top Bottom