Waiting list for a watch!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
The fake Rolex I bought, from a street vendor in London about 20 years ago, is still going strong. Just had a few changes of battery in that time.
I have never seen the point of a fake expensive watch over a normal watch. It has to be a status thing? It always feel like me putting a Bentley badge on a Ford Mondeo. Sorry best example I can come up with.

I can understand that @User33236 enjoys the actual product, not my cup of tea but a clear appreciation for it and I get the feeling its not because it display assumed wealth. I always have the feeling the market for fakes is tackling a complete different appeal one for the people who want to look like they have the dosh, but don't or won't spend it on a watch. Its quite intriguing to be honest. I did laugh many moons ago when someone I know bought one and it clapped out month later two thing he moaned and moaned about it but still farking wore it for a month or more which made even less sense. He got really pissed off with me asking the time.

J1888

Über Member
I have never seen the point of a fake expensive watch over a normal watch. It has to be a status thing? It always feel like me putting a Bentley badge on a Ford Mondeo. Sorry best example I can come up with.

It's not really, because your Mondeo would still look like a Mondeo, but with a Bentley badge. 'Good' fakes look like a real watch and replicate the movement etc, so perhaps a better comparison is those drivers who buy the 'kit' to turn a Toyota MR2 into a Ferrari.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A fake rolex for a fiver, which after all, keeps better time than one of those old fashioned clockwork rolexes is great fun - especially if it looks ok at least from a distance. Particularly entertaining if catches the eye of a real watch geek. A former boss of mine was given a very nice looking "patek phillipe" as a bit of fun from a Hong Kong business associate. He managed to flash it in just the right company which really put out a flash rolex owner who was jeallous of this semingly £50k Patek. My boss pretended to have no idea of its value saying his sister had bought it him having made a few bob in the city

OP
OP
U

User33236

I really don’t see the point in fake anything. If you can’t, or won’t, buy the real thing then buy a genuine item you do want within what you are prepared to pay.

A higher end watch isn’t a status symbol in my opinion. It simply says to me that the owner appreciates a luxury item.

My daily watch is a Tag I bought almost a decade ago.

OP
OP
U

User33236

A fake rolex for a fiver, which after all, keeps better time than one of those old fashioned clockwork rolexes is great fun - especially if it looks ok at least from a distance. Particularly entertaining if catches the eye of a real watch geek. A former boss of mine was given a very nice looking "patek phillipe" as a bit of fun from a Hong Kong business associate. He managed to flash it in just the right company which really put out a flash rolex owner who was jeallous of this semingly £50k Patek. My boss pretended to have no idea of its value saying his sister had bought it him having made a few bob in the city

Might be ‘fun’ but looking ok from a distance? Nah, not for me.

MarkF

Guru
Fakes can often be spotted at great distance, the bracelet is usually the giveaway. It's a murky world, fakes and homages, not sure there is a significant difference, but people will pay good money for a homage whilst looking down their nose at the guy with a fake. I bought a Seiko 5 automatic once from Ebay, it arrived and was quite obviously a quartz watch, I thought "Who would go to the trouble of making a fake watch of an original that costs only £50"? Then I found out that there are fake Casios. :wacko:

I love watches, been selling & collecting for over 20 years, it's been great fun and I am sitting on a very tidy and mostly accidental profit, not that I would part with any.

MarkF

Guru
I have this, there is no other one in existence. I missed it's sale after it was made available and was gutted but kept flattering the owner, a few years on he offered it to me, unworn. I was delighted and wondered what he'd want for it, this is going back a decade but I'd have happily paid, er, a l.o.t of money for it. He said he only wanted what he'd paid for it, a few hundred quid, as he "knew" me.:wahhey:

Ollech and Wajs 1960's NOS (New Old Stock) all-steel, 40mm case with screw-on-back. It also features a rotating bezel, screw-down crown and acrylic crystal with magnified date. The movement is the Swiss made, ETA 2824-2 automatic with quick set date and hacking seconds. The O&W dial is black with luminous figures.

rlt-ow-special.jpg

OP
OP
U

User33236

I have this, there is no other one in existence. I missed it's sale after it was made available and was gutted but kept flattering the owner, a few years on he offered it to me, unworn. I was delighted and wondered what he'd want for it, this is going back a decade but I'd have happily paid, er, a l.o.t of money for it. He said he only wanted what he'd paid for it, a few hundred quid, as he "knew" me.:wahhey:

Ollech and Wajs 1960's NOS (New Old Stock) all-steel, 40mm case with screw-on-back. It also features a rotating bezel, screw-down crown and acrylic crystal with magnified date. The movement is the Swiss made, ETA 2824-2 automatic with quick set date and hacking seconds. The O&W dial is black with luminous figures.

View attachment 390178
Nice! It is difficult to find someone who can service it if required?

No matter what mate wait for what you want as nothing will bug you more if you get something else.

When I retire I am having an Aston Martin and I don’t care how long I have to wait !

OP
OP
U

User33236

No matter what mate wait for what you want as nothing will bug you more if you get something else.

When I retire I am having an Aston Martin and I don’t care how long I have to wait !
I’m normally an impulsive buyer, even on large items such as the home I live in now (no regrets though as still love it), but this is something I have wanted for a while so am prepared to wait this one out.

Had been looking at other watches over the past few days but my first choice keeps drawing me back so its a done deal.

All the legwork I can do is done and now just need to have patience and wait on a phone call.

Good luck in getting your Aston Martin :okay:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

One of the stage crew at the Phoenix Theatre in London was known for being a bit of a spendthrift but he excused it by saying he was saving up for a Porsche. At the opening night of the Merchant of Venice in 1989 he showed up at the red carpet to collect Dustin Hoffman in the Porsche he'd saved 5 years to buy. When I met him in 1990 he was saving up for a Cessna.

I’m normally an impulsive buyer, even on large items such as the home I live in now (no regrets though as still love it), but this is something I have wanted for a while so am prepared to wait this one out.

Had been looking at other watches over the past few days but my first choice keeps drawing me back so its a done deal.

All the legwork I can do is done and now just need to have patience and wait on a phone call.

Good luck in getting your Aston Martin :okay:

Good things come to those who wait !

Hang in there it will be worth it

Top Bottom