Wanton and Furious Cycling prosecution

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Hit and Run. Two wheels not four. I don't feel any need to offer excuses.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
This not intended to excuse what he did - which was inexcusable - but it's interesting that the CPS chose to prosecute in this case when it frequently fails to do so in motorised hit and run cases.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If he's admitted it, the CPS has a pretty watertight case so they'll be wanting to make a clear example of him.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
It can carry a sentence of up to two years.

This not intended to excuse what he did - which was inexcusable - but it's interesting that the CPS chose to prosecute in this case when it frequently fails to do so in motorised hit and run cases.

From another report, the W&FC charge was dropped when he pleaded guilty to the more serious charge of GBH - what is the max for that?

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
I

I'm pretty sure any motorist who caused GBH by hitting someone who had priority on a crossing would be prosecuted, even if they did not run.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
It is understandable that a person may have an accident and seriously injure someone. He should have been paying more attention though. What I find very hard to understand is that he left the scene. This is what angers me most about this, as it does with motorists. Such a callous and cowardly act.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It is understandable that a person may have an accident and seriously injure someone. He should have been paying more attention though. What I find very hard to understand is that he left the scene. This is what angers me most about this, as it does with motorists. Such a callous and cowardly act.
I suspect the panic and shock causes an individual to do things they otherwise wouldn't. It seems, anecdotally, that perpetrators sometimes leave the scene, then hand themselves in later. Doesn't excuse it of course, just maybe helps to understand it.

Linford

I suspect the panic and shock causes an individual to do things they otherwise wouldn't. It seems, anecdotally, that perpetrators sometimes leave the scene, then hand themselves in later. Doesn't excuse it of course, just maybe helps to understand it.

I suspect it was probably because he felt he might get away with it because as a cyclist, there was little to identify him. I also suspect that his guilty feelings also got the better of him after a period of refflection.

Top Bottom