Warming up before a ride ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mireystock

SIip-slidin' down Big Pig...
As the title, warming up before going for a ride ? This question is more aimed at what you might call the casual cyclist rather than real road-heads. (To explain that, I enjoy going out on my bike for a casual ride, rather than sportives etc, however I do like to push myself a bit now and again.)

I tend to struggle a bit on the first three miles or so, I've noticed, but from then on I seem to feel totally energised and in the groove, and could probably ride all day !

So, 'casual' cyclists, do you warm up before a ride and how ?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
If it's cold out I just stand by the radiator for a few minutes.

mythste

Veteran
I like to do a few muscle stretches before heading out. If I hit a fun section in the first few miles I dont want to take it easy because I'm not warmed up! Also helps with recovery afterwards (I would have thought!)

BigAl68

Über Member
A pot of coffee and a roll up is my usual warm up. It seems to work as I still get out of the house 4 days a week at 5am to ride to work. :bicycle:

siadwell

Guru
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that while stretching exercises are valuable after exercise, they have no value beforehand. As others have said, treat those first few miles as your warm up.

Speaking of warm, though, the advice in this article makes sense: http://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/yanto...tay-warm-bike-winter.html#i38VGhTdIaeigptk.97. Basically, he says you should expect to feel a bit cold for the first 15 minutes of a ride, as you get up to your "riding temperature".

shadow master

As the title, warming up before going for a ride ? This question is more aimed at what you might call the casual cyclist rather than real road-heads. (To explain that, I enjoy going out on my bike for a casual ride, rather than sportives etc, however I do like to push myself a bit now and again.)

I tend to struggle a bit on the first three miles or so, I've noticed, but from then on I seem to feel totally energised and in the groove, and could probably ride all day !

So, 'casual' cyclists, do you warm up before a ride and how ?
Stretching cold muscle's is an absolute no no,that's 1970's thinking that just keep getting repeated!like most diet/exercise advice.Spinning lightly and building up slowly is the best way,for me about 3 or 4 miles is about right,most people find if you red line in the first 10\15mins of a ride,it spoils the whole ride,bummer for people who live at the bottom of a big climb

Top Bottom