Was I a selfish rotter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mick Mudd

Über Member
I’ve watched this thread with interest.
My position is that if you go out, unprepared, for a ride with others then you need to live with the consequences of that decision. Don’t expect any assistance from me.
If you’ve tried to prepare but forgotten something, we all make mistakes, and I’d help if I’m in a position to do so.

Yes, to quote the late great Leicester clubman Cliff Smith- "Cycling is a brutal sport".
So in that respect cycling is like a tough drill sergeant trying to break us..:smile:-

DOR.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Not being funny, but reliability trials " emphasise fitness, self reliance and navigational skills" - ref.
Looking after yourself is at least as important as looking after the bike.

OP
OP
M

Mick Mudd

Über Member
You don't appear to have posted a picture of a hill?

The road up the hill doesn't show up too well on google street view because of camera angles and buildings in the way etc, but here's the next best thing, i've shopped in the fearsome road in red, even Connery would have had trouble climbing it..:smile:
south_croxton2.jpg

The-Hill-film.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mick Mudd

Über Member
One other thing. Who rides 100 miles with a rucksack? OK, some people do, I know (I'm thinking of one ;) ) but it's pretty rare. If you don't have carrying capacity on your bike then your jersey pockets should be sufficient for enough snacks to see you through.

And who carries additional drinks in this rucksack, over and above bottles on the frame? Extra bidons bouncing around inside the rucksack? Really?

My Rule #1 for touring and rel trials etc is:- take as much food and drink as you think you'll need, then double it and you can't go wrong, even if it means taking a small rucksack..:smile:

AndyRM

XOXO
The road up the hill doesn't show up too well on google street view because of camera angles and buildings in the way etc, but here's the next best thing, i've shopped in the fearsome road in red, even Connery would have had trouble climbing it..:smile:
View attachment 715882

View attachment 715883

That's. Yeah. That's not a hill.

My Rule #1 for touring and rel trials etc is:- take as much food and drink as you think you'll need, then double it and you can't go wrong, even if it means taking a small rucksack..:smile:

So, you showed your sack off to all and sundry, knowing you had double the load required and still wouldn't share? That's a bit selfish.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
One other thing. Who rides 100 miles with a rucksack? OK, some people do, I know (I'm thinking of one ;) ) but it's pretty rare. If you don't have carrying capacity on your bike then your jersey pockets should be sufficient for enough snacks to see you through.

And who carries additional drinks in this rucksack, over and above bottles on the frame? Extra bidons bouncing around inside the rucksack? Really?

I've done a few with a rucksack, normally carrying a lock, extra gloves and if the day warms up the layers I no longer need.

I've also carried extra drinks when out on really hot days in one.

@ColinJ had one when we did the York - Humber Bridge - York ride.

Not a rotter lol Who sets out to do a ride like that with no food!

I once chatted with a chap who was waylaid with a puncture and had called his wife to pick him up as he had no pump, he'd repaired the hole and then found he'd not brought the pump lol I couldn't help either as after confidently getting my own pump out for him I found I'd left the valve adaptor at home so we both useless at preparing lol :laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Who rides 100 miles with a rucksack?

Someone with a poorly setup bike?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Someone with a poorly setup bike?

Well, I actually ride all my bikes with a small pack these days - mainly due to the spinal injury I got some years ago, and rather would spread the small weight hit in a small cycling pack on my back, not having stuff in pockets near the break site (lower back).

OP says this was years ago, so 100 miles wasn't uncommon in a cycling club/trial, but those not suited to do it should have been advised. But, it was a bit different then (been cycling properly for near on 40 years and early on it was 'no prisoners' in the club.

It's a bloody free for all now - Sportives really do have people who can't do that distance but get support.

As a ride leader I carry way more stuff than I'll actually ever need [1], the excess is for those I ride with that turn out to be unprepared for whatever [2], the excess weighs perhaps a kilo or two? [3,4] but it isn't really that I'm a regular hero, rather I'm acting in my best interest and want to be on my way rather than wait for someone else to come to the rescue [5].

100's ideally need food/drink every 25/33 miles, as anyone can do 25/33 miles then rinse and repeat (possibly only the one day :laugh:)

[1] If what I carry doesn't get me home, I know I can always walk 'somewhere' (I use SPD's not ballet shoe/achiles poppers)
[2] but that really only works once-ish
[3] I'm cycling for excercise so weight hardly matters (and I've sure I've had a no.2 weighing more)
[4] the bike carries it not me [6]
[5] I won't leave anyone alone anywhere other than a pub/station/public space with heat/light
[6] the excess over 'my kit' [7] is just caliper brake pads and cables (family fleet all hydraulic/tubeless now) oh and 8-10spd quick links.
[7] 11spd quick links, 2 tubes, good old rubber patch kit, 1 set disc pads, 25mm folding tyre [8], CO2, tubeless plug and sealant/syringe.
[8] it travelled for 3 seasons and 1000's of miles just in case - I ended up using it as I'd worn through the casing, oops [9]
[9] I do M check too - honest...

OP
OP
M

Mick Mudd

Über Member
So, you showed your sack off to all and sundry, knowing you had double the load required and still wouldn't share? That's a bit selfish.

Nah, let me clarify - From previous early touring experience I found that whenever I thought I was carrying enough food and drink to get me from A to B , I'd underestimated and almost ground to a halt short of B, so after that I always loaded up with more than I thought I'd need, and it nicely got me to B..:smile:

OP
OP
M

Mick Mudd

Über Member
Did you not say the ride was a loop of the countryside?
Did that village not have any shops?
Sorry, but I feel you made this story up :laugh:

Oops I thought this was a cycling forum or have have I wandered into an insane asylum by mistake?..:smile:
'WIKI- Paranoid personality disorder is a psychiatric diagnosis characterised by a pervasive and long-standing suspiciousness and generalized mistrust of others...'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoid_personality_disorder

Top Bottom