Was I a selfish rotter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Its 100 miles, you dont need loads of food for a little ride as long as you have water, have done loads of 100 mile rides on not a lot of anything, A good meal the night before and a light breakfast, our group share everything. Dont think i would want to ride with someone so selfish.

100 miles is not a "little ride" for most people (I have never done that far, only once done 100Km), and you certainly will be needing more than just water, particularly if you aren't used to doing that sort of distance. You are talking about 6 hours+ of riding for 100 miles, unless you are decent competition level.

I tend to agree about the sharing, but if you have only brought just enough for what you need, then you will struggle if you don't have it.

It sounds to me like this was rather poorly organised, if people were not being told to make sure they brought enough, and most people weren't experienced at riding those sorts of distances.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
One other thing. Who rides 100 miles with a rucksack? OK, some people do, I know (I'm thinking of one ;) ) but it's pretty rare. If you don't have carrying capacity on your bike then your jersey pockets should be sufficient for enough snacks to see you through.

And who carries additional drinks in this rucksack, over and above bottles on the frame? Extra bidons bouncing around inside the rucksack? Really?

Alex321

Veteran
One other thing. Who rides 100 miles with a rucksack? OK, some people do, I know (I'm thinking of one ;) ) but it's pretty rare. If you don't have carrying capacity on your bike then your jersey pockets should be sufficient for enough snacks to see you through.

And who carries additional drinks in this rucksack, over and above bottles on the frame? Extra bidons bouncing around inside the rucksack? Really?

Well I only have one bottle cage on my bike, but if I'm doing a long ride in warm weather, I'll carry a 2nd bottle in my jersey pocket, and switch them when the one on the bike is empty.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
The whole point of a reliability ride is in its name.

"In the U.K., a reliability ride is known as a test of a cyclist’s reliability and that of their bike coming out of the winter period"

It sounds like some of your cycling adversaries weren't too reliable.

OP
OP
M

Mick Mudd

Über Member
Cyclists should never run, and if they do, it should just be fast enough to evade capture.

Also, see rule 5. :okay:

What's rule 5? Anyway, we holy men don't do "rules"..:smile:
"You died with Christ from this world, so don't keep submitting to its rules" (Colossians 2:20)

OP
OP
M

Mick Mudd

Über Member
But if the offer of help comes from a middle aged woman on a utility bike, the reaction from the guy is mostly of horror ... how could she possibly be able to help?? :laugh:

By taking us to her home and mothering, pampering and fussing over us like Nurse Chapel does with Spock even though he don't want her, huh there's bleddy vulcans for you !

spock-chappel.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mick Mudd

Über Member
..our group share everything. Dont think i would want to ride with someone so selfish.

Here's a pic of South Croxton (Leics), aka 'The village on the hill' which we 'selfish ones' successfully climbed 10 times..:becool:

south_croxton.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mick Mudd

Über Member
100 miles is not a "little ride" for most people (I have never done that far, only once done 100Km), and you certainly will be needing more than just water, particularly if you aren't used to doing that sort of distance. You are talking about 6 hours+ of riding for 100 miles, unless you are decent competition level.

I tend to agree about the sharing, but if you have only brought just enough for what you need, then you will struggle if you don't have it.

It sounds to me like this was rather poorly organised, if people were not being told to make sure they brought enough, and most people weren't experienced at riding those sorts of distances.

In fairness to the organisers I suppose they assumed the riders would have the simple commonsense to bring enough food and drink without having to be told..:smile:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

Done London to Paris with rucksack, The crossing to Dieppe was our only real stop.

Top Bottom