Was I a selfish rotter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I think it was just 10 laps on a Sunday club ride. :smile:

wot !!! no bullets involved !

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Teamwork applies equally to the person that didn't prepare. That sort of behaviour puts the team at risk, not just themselves. Your highest duty is to yourself, and by discharging that duty diligently you thus satisfy your duty to the team as a whole. If uou haven't got your sheet together you're a liability, not a team player.

I topped out at half screw so at most had 4 men under me but not one would have got out the door on either training or a live op without the correct kit. Imagine the fun we'd have had in West Belfast if one of my patrol decided they couldn't be arsed to have the correct gear. "Oooh, Corp, I didnt pack any long (rifle ammo), can I have yours?" It's selfish, dangerous behaviour and to expect others to disadvantage themselves or even put themselves at risk to help them is also selfish and dangerous.

It's natural selection - Darwin wrote a book about it, and if people can't be bothered to read it and understand the lesson then that's their look out. I wouldn't let someone die or come to any real harm, but short of that I won't risk or disadvantage myself to help them.

taking it to the extreme a bit there - talking about a bike ride ! in any case sometimes shoot happens through no ones fault and I would like to think if I could help then I would . if I thought the bloke was just using me as a sherpa then I would think differently but mostly I would try to act like a human in a normal situation . I am sure if bullets are whizzing pass my ears then it is essential to follow procedures and do what is expected not to make my own mind up . that is what makes forces strong , the following of rules so everybody knows what is expected and happening . a bike ride with all different individuals cant really be compared to that I wouldn't have thought

Sharky

Guru
It was a Sunday and 10 laps of a 10-mile circuit in the countryside and not a shop or anything in sight.
I am a surprised at the organisers. Most reliability trials I have ridden have a start where you can buy tea and cakes and the same at the finish where they give out the certificates.

I'm guessing that this reliability trial did not have a compulsory 10 lap distance and rides could choose how many to do and would get a certificate based on the laps they did.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Why are you asking this now OP is it one of those things that play on your mind because you know you didn't act in the best way? Perhaps if so then give a donation somewhere to a food bank or a community cycling group etc as a way of moving on and doing better?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I was a selfish rotter yesterday !
bought some multi vitamins from boots for mrs ck, nope wrong ones so i tried to return them and they dont take them back .
I wasnt nasty but i wasnt nice either as i walked off halfway through the sales person explaining .I have no excuse apart from tiredness and stress so i sent an email to the store manager laster apologizing .

All uphill

Still rolling along
Thanks to the OP for raising this. You have reminded me of one of the reasons I cycle alone or with one other person.

If I see someone in trouble I will always stop and help, if I can. But I don't start out knowing there is another person on the ride who is ill-equipped, ill-tempered or just plain careless.

OP
OP
M

Mick Mudd

Über Member
I am a surprised at the organisers. Most reliability trials I have ridden have a start where you can buy tea and cakes and the same at the finish where they give out the certificates.

I'm guessing that this reliability trial did not have a compulsory 10 lap distance and rides could choose how many to do and would get a certificate based on the laps they did.

It was only a local club event with no fancy bells, whistles or food sources, so we had to provide our own nutrition and I personally adopted an utterly ruthless streak as far as any scroungers were concerned..:smile:-

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mick Mudd

Über Member
Something not right…people don’t often sign up to 100 mile rides unless they’ve done some decent cycling by which time, they’ll be aware of nutritional demands of 100 miles.

There was a high proportion of inexperienced teenage riders in the event who were only used to riding 10-mile TT's, so no wonder they were dropping out like flies, leaving only me and another few experienced older hard men to complete the course..:smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom