Was I a selfish rotter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
When I first started, I don't remember riding many reliability trials. Every club run was an all day ride. I must have carried food with me, but every ride had a destination with a cafe and a huge meal and several pint mugs of tea.

OP
OP
M

Mick Mudd

Über Member
I'd have given a couple of bits out then after that told them to go to the shop/store/petrol station etc. I think the person organizing the ride should have told them what they needed to bring.

It was a Sunday and 10 laps of a 10-mile circuit in the countryside and not a shop or anything in sight.
If people hadn't got the simple commonsense to bring a ruck, stuff 'em, it's not rocket science..:smile:

OP
OP
M

Mick Mudd

Über Member
Yes, you were a selfish so and so ^_^

Maybe, but I won a certificate for finishing and the scroungers didn't..:smile:
As a great prophet once said- "I never enter any race without intending to win it"- Eddy Merckx

eddy-milremo-1972.jpg

Last edited:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
if they were mates then mates help each other , if they were strangers then tough unless you are feeling generous . if i ran out of something needed and a mate had a glut of it , I would like to think that mate would help me out and in return I would be willing to help them out when they had trouble , a lot more than just food and drink can be needed in a long ride - in fact that is one of the easiest things to solve - carry a bit of money and note where shops will be and all of a sudden you are just a bloke carrying a heavy rucksack for no reason who others may have to wait for because they did their homework - swings and roundabouts
if I had bonked and just needed a drink , I would continue , probably at half power but I would continue . would be nice if a mate turned round and said have a drop of this instead of saying should have been prepared , that act of kindness would make all the difference to whether I stop to help the same mate further down the road if his chain had snapped , puncture , lost bolt , bent wheel , broken strap on heavy rucksack , patched up after an off - all sorts of mishaps , or whether I just wave as I pass keeping my roll of tape , cable tie , plaster , lube in the little saddle bag

Slick

Guru
if they were mates then mates help each other , if they were strangers then tough unless you are feeling generous . if i ran out of something needed and a mate had a glut of it , I would like to think that mate would help me out and in return I would be willing to help them out when they had trouble , a lot more than just food and drink can be needed in a long ride - in fact that is one of the easiest things to solve - carry a bit of money and note where shops will be and all of a sudden you are just a bloke carrying a heavy rucksack for no reason who others may have to wait for because they did their homework - swings and roundabouts
if I had bonked and just needed a drink , I would continue , probably at half power but I would continue . would be nice if a mate turned round and said have a drop of this instead of saying should have been prepared , that act of kindness would make all the difference to whether I stop to help the same mate further down the road if his chain had snapped , puncture , lost bolt , bent wheel , broken strap on heavy rucksack , patched up after an off - all sorts of mishaps , or whether I just wave as I pass keeping my roll of tape , cable tie , plaster , lube in the little saddle bag

You can usually tell the good guys and gals in life when your fixing a puncture by the side of the road and they stop to ask if you are OK and have everything you need.

I can't think of a time when I needed their help, but the offer is always gratefully received.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You can usually tell the good guys and gals in life when your fixing a puncture by the side of the road and they stop to ask if you are OK and have everything you need.

I can't think of a time when I needed their help, but the offer is always gratefully received.
But if the offer of help comes from a middle aged woman on a utility bike, the reaction from the guy is mostly of horror ... how could she possibly be able to help?? :laugh:

Slick

Guru
But if the offer of help comes from a middle aged woman on a utility bike, the reaction from the guy is mostly of horror ... how could she possibly be able to help?? :laugh:

I shouldn't be surprised by that Pat, but I am. Especially as I would accept help from wherever it came from. The last group to stop for me was a Dutch family on tour. I did wonder why they would find the cycle path at Bowling interesting but then I remembered they had probably been to Loch Lomond.

Drago

Legendary Member
Had all this drilled into me over the years...

To fail to prepare is to prepare to fail.

Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performaance (and minor variations thereof.)

Your weapon, your kit, then yourself.

And so on.

Why should someone who is diligent in their preparation risk disadvantaging themselves to help someone who couldn't be arsed? Unless they're in medical dire straits or at risk of harm of death then I'd tell them to jog on. If schmucks keep helping these people then they'll never learn the lesson.

berty bassett

Legendary Member

Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performaance (and minor variations thereof.)

And so on.

Why should someone who is diligent in their preparation risk disadvantaging themselves to help someone who couldn't be arsed? Unless they're in medical dire straits or at risk of harm of death then I'd tell them to jog on. If schmucks keep helping these people then they'll never learn the lesson.

sure you was told to work together as a team as well , so guessing its down to choice whether you like the bloke or not

Slick

Guru

And so on.

Somebody needs a hug. :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
sure you was told to work together as a team as well , so guessing its down to choice whether you like the bloke or not

Teamwork applies equally to the person that didn't prepare. That sort of behaviour puts the team at risk, not just themselves. Your highest duty is to yourself, and by discharging that duty diligently you thus satisfy your duty to the team as a whole. If uou haven't got your sheet together you're a liability, not a team player.

I topped out at half screw so at most had 4 men under me but not one would have got out the door on either training or a live op without the correct kit. Imagine the fun we'd have had in West Belfast if one of my patrol decided they couldn't be arsed to have the correct gear. "Oooh, Corp, I didnt pack any long (rifle ammo), can I have yours?" It's selfish, dangerous behaviour and to expect others to disadvantage themselves or even put themselves at risk to help them.

It's natural selection - Darwin wrote a book about it, and if people can't be bothered to read it and understand the lesson then that's their look out. I wouldn't let someone die or come to any real harm, but short of that I won't risk or disadvantage myself to help them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom