Was I an idiot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

musa

Über Member
think nothing of it.....sitting on his back wheel would mean he had to continue through pain

now your not a wicked man, are you?:rolleyes:

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
And I'm quite happy to hold my hands up if I was...
On the way to work this morning (bloody cold btw!) was on a long straight close to work. A guy passed me (nothing unusual there!). I said 'Morning', as I normally do and thought nothing of it. Only thing is, after a couple of seconds I could see him flagging and his speed went right down. I got closer and closer until I was right behind him. Didn't really know what to do as was keeping a pretty constant speed and felt bad for going past him. In the end I decided to...didn't really have to accelerate just went past.
A couple of seconds later he flew past me again...I didn't change pace (today was one of those days where I was knackered and it was just about getting to work...no PBs etc expected).
Same thing happened...he started blowing and speed went down. I passed him on the next hill and as I went past him he shouted, 'Oh fxxk off you xxxx!'
Was really quite annoyed and it made for a pretty crap morning.
Should I have sat behind him? Or when passing, should I have then made sure that I caned it to make sure he couldn't come back?
Thanks,
Russ

Sorry about that but I hate being scalped.:cursing:

boydj

Legendary Member
I wouldn't worry about it. It was him being a div and him losing his cool. You've nothing to feel bad about. I once had a long journey at night on a near empty motorway. I had my cruise control set at 72mph, yet this woman kept overtaking me, only for me to cruise past a minute or so later.

Eventually I overtook her one last time (having remained at 72mph) and she was ranting and raving at me!
Get that all the time when using cruise control.

OP did nothing wrong - you have to know your limitations, which the overtaker clearly did not.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Think I'd feel sorry for him,I know what I went through for over two years of struggling for various reasons.I think one of the reasons was the rear brake thingy.Hated being scalped by a boris bike.:cry:

jim55

Guru
had very similiar yest,stopped at lights just outside my house ,(so not really moved /warmed up or anything ,lights went green and i moved off trying to clip in so i was only just rolling ),guy came by me at full tilt between me and the pavement so a pretty tight gap(on a mtb ,and im on a road bike ) he said "cmon you .get going !!!so once i got up to speed i reeled him in easily ,got to the next set of lights ,i stopped ,he caught up ,jumped up the kerb and rode across the ped crossing and carried on the road at the other side of the lights ,now after these lights its a downhill section and i can get a good bit of speed up ,bearing in mind he was away effectivley giving him a head start ,lights changed and im off ,determined to catch him ,caught him up (well seen him anyway )and went down a few gears and determined to pass him did so shortly after ,at what felt like a fair old rate ( for me anyway ,prob about 35 or so ) and he shouted "just cos ur on a road bike " ,,i felt a bit of a smirk and continued at a good pace so he couldnt come back ,
next set of lights i was waiting ,just as they went green and i was moving off he caught up and never overtook ,his words "no point going in front ,after you ,
lol
point proven i think

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Same thing happened...he started blowing and speed went down. I passed him on the next hill and as I went past him he shouted, 'Oh fxxk off you xxxx!'
Or give it a "I'm tired cruising, I'm going to pick it up a bit... wanna drop on and draft, you look knackered" ^_^

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Next time just after you pass sit up keeping the same cadence, go no hands and reach for an energy gel in your back pocket and gullop it down.

Slaav

Veteran
If similar were to happen again, cruise past 1st time and then keep your ears going.....

As you hear him gaining, and about to catch up, increase cadence slightly or change gear to maintain 'similar' cadence - will be harder - but he wont realise why he isnt actually scalping you; if you do it properly, you should get him up to speeds he cant maintain whilst coughing his lungs up as I would be surprised if he gave up until his lungs were coming out of his mouth :smile:

Part time cyclist

Über Member
I'm one of those sad gits that have to chase down and overtake a cyclist in front of me I may ride hard to catch pull up on their rear wheel sit there for a bit then pass like a looney and hope the Christ they don't catch back up, if they do I just smile and nod as they go by.... And give up graciously :smile: if that guy got offended he us a twat.......

Top Bottom