Was I an idiot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And I'm quite happy to hold my hands up if I was...
On the way to work this morning (bloody cold btw!) was on a long straight close to work. A guy passed me (nothing unusual there!). I said 'Morning', as I normally do and thought nothing of it. Only thing is, after a couple of seconds I could see him flagging and his speed went right down. I got closer and closer until I was right behind him. Didn't really know what to do as was keeping a pretty constant speed and felt bad for going past him. In the end I decided to...didn't really have to accelerate just went past.
A couple of seconds later he flew past me again...I didn't change pace (today was one of those days where I was knackered and it was just about getting to work...no PBs etc expected).
Same thing happened...he started blowing and speed went down. I passed him on the next hill and as I went past him he shouted, 'Oh fxxk off you xxxx!'
Was really quite annoyed and it made for a pretty crap morning.
Should I have sat behind him? Or when passing, should I have then made sure that I caned it to make sure he couldn't come back?
Thanks,
Russ

Well I don't think you did anything wrong.

Herbie

Veteran
And I'm quite happy to hold my hands up if I was...
On the way to work this morning (bloody cold btw!) was on a long straight close to work. A guy passed me (nothing unusual there!). I said 'Morning', as I normally do and thought nothing of it. Only thing is, after a couple of seconds I could see him flagging and his speed went right down. I got closer and closer until I was right behind him. Didn't really know what to do as was keeping a pretty constant speed and felt bad for going past him. In the end I decided to...didn't really have to accelerate just went past.
A couple of seconds later he flew past me again...I didn't change pace (today was one of those days where I was knackered and it was just about getting to work...no PBs etc expected).
Same thing happened...he started blowing and speed went down. I passed him on the next hill and as I went past him he shouted, 'Oh fxxk off you xxxx!'
Was really quite annoyed and it made for a pretty crap morning.
Should I have sat behind him? Or when passing, should I have then made sure that I caned it to make sure he couldn't come back?
Thanks,
Russ

He was the idiot

Hip Priest

Veteran
I wouldn't worry about it. It was him being a div and him losing his cool. You've nothing to feel bad about. I once had a long journey at night on a near empty motorway. I had my cruise control set at 72mph, yet this woman kept overtaking me, only for me to cruise past a minute or so later.

Eventually I overtook her one last time (having remained at 72mph) and she was ranting and raving at me!

potsy

Rambler
He was the idiot
+1

Does anyone remember the video someone posted ages ago of a similar situation?
Think it was on a cycle lane and two people tried overtaking the helmet-cammer, couldn't hold the overtake for long but one of them just wouldn't give up :laugh:

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Thanks guys, makes me feel better. I spent the day going over it again and again and felt even worse that I couldn't see what I'd done wrong. Was worried it was a cycling etiquette thing that I didn't realise

He learned a lesson. If you're going to burn off someone, make sure you can make it stick or you'll look like a twit (spelling optionable)

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
+1

Think it was on a cycle lane and two people tried overtaking the helmet-cammer, couldn't hold the overtake for long but one of them just wouldn't give up :laugh:
Would love to see it if there is a link????

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You did nothing wrong.

Quite the reverse, you were kind enough to follow his instructions.

When he told you to eff off, you did.

martint235

Dog on a bike
As you overtake, drop down a gear. This gives the subliminal message "Not only am I overtaking you, I'm actually only just starting to accelerate". Should ensure he stays behind.

Hip Priest

Veteran
+1

I remember that. The two pursuers' legs were spinning like egg whisks!

Top Bottom