Was i conned by e buyer??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

Bought a new laptop 3 weeks ago as computer packed up.

E- Buyer fujitsu siemens 2 gig of ram and 120 gb hard drive. £320

when i click on computer it says i have 1.75gb of ram and 109gb of hard drive. Is his right? i know they are allowed to be a little economical with the truth so dont want to make a t5t of myself by complaining.

BTW the laptop is great, no complaints at all.

andy

does it also say the sizes in mb- sometimes it can round down, the hd could be okay, my mates says 113gb, instead of 120.. but im no computer buff, so maybe others will be more knowledgeable...

e-buyer have always seemed pretty good though, from what ive heard..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No you have not been conned - some will be reserved for the backup/system files and also 120gb quoted is about 109gb...do you not know about the 1024 data system...... I'll not bore you, but what you have is 100% right....

Your ram, for a laptop will be shared with the video card unless you pay loads...like £1k - so it will use a fair amount 128 - 256 mb .... you haven't been stuffed that's how it is..

byegad

Legendary Member
Some of the RAM gets reserved for the graphics card. Your figure sounds about right, and some of the HD is reserved for the system, again it sounds about right.

fossyant

Hope that's OK - you, like me have a basic laptop...

It's fine for what we use it for, but my older desktop with more real ram, pumping old graphics card (cost £250 on it's own) and stuff kicks the laptop's ass big time...

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
At a guess they have quoted the HD size in MB, using the "industry standard" i.e 1Gb = 1000Mb rather than 1024. The boot sector and general formatting requirements then rob a little bit extra leaving 113gb of actual space.

The RAM is probably 2gb, but they have used an on-board graphics chip which "borrows" 256mb for itself from the main RAM rather than having dedicated GPU memory.

Not exactly what it says on the tin - but pretty standard for the industry, and roughly what you would expect at that price level.

On the whole I dont think you've been ripped off, you just need to be aware of the finer points hidden in the small print of PC specs.

fossyant

PS Laptops rock - love going into the garden and surfing - the power house desktop can't do that.

My laptop was an AOL freebe, it's great, will play Lego Starwars 2 - fine - we have kids, and it does the job.....the desk top , although 3 years old, runs RAID (dual disks for data security - and we have needed it) and can play games at really good FPS..., although now a bit to old for the latest stuff, but the Lego games are cool !!!!!!!!!

Don't worry - that is a fine bit of kit.......

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

i thank each and every one of you.
i dont think i would have bothered complaining but it would deffo have taken the shine off this laptop.

thanks
andy

Top Bottom