Was this bus driver bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

magnatom said:
Come on cab. How could wearing hi viz wind up a driver?:smile:

Rather like that chap who did a study on what happened when he wore a helmet and found that motorists tended to overtake more closely.

Part of the problem is how we're perceived; if we're seen as high-viz road warriors, brightly coloured inhabitants of the middle of the road it does seem to get more aggro from the worst kinds of motorists. Its certainly been my experience that I get more verbal if I'm wearing a high viz vest.

Cab

nethalus said:
Is that really true though? Speaking from personal experience, and from no other, I find day glow on cyclists helps them stick out more from further away.

Its sticking out, being different, alongside being viewed as inferior road users (an all too common perception) that is the problem. High viz reinforces this perception. Is that really such a good thing?

Just because someone is wearing it wouldn't wind me up in the slightest. I think the sort of idiots it winds up are idiots who probably don't like cyclists full stop and are simply using them wearing something for their own saftey as an excuse. Even if you went cycling in a suit and tie these mongs would probably get wound up about it!!!

Try going out on a bike in high viz, look competent, ride fast, see how much lip you get. Then go home, change into inappropriate clothes, ride a bit like a muppet, and then see how you're treated. Its my experience that the more competent, the more prepared you look, the more 'they' are likely to give you grief.

col

Legendary Member
I think you will find,that riding primary all the time,is what gets the reactions.Hi viz and helmets dont.

Cab

col said:
I think you will find,that riding primary all the time,is what gets the reactions.Hi viz and helmets dont.

Did you read the TRL report on drivers perception of cyclists? If you haven't do so. If its still online as a PDF it shouldn't be too hard to find. Simply being visibly 'different' is enough to get a negative response. Check also this (relating to helmets, but I hope you'll agree that the logic extends to high viz): http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/09/060911102200.htm

Riding in primary whenever its appropriate gets a few comments and bad reactions on the road. During summer, when the light is good, I tend not to worry about wearing anything too reflective, I just don't wear dark colours. And I'm seen, I'm visible. I'm not a religious wearer of reflective clothing on town streets in winter either, I'll pick a visible road position and good lights over such things any day. Generally I'll wear reflective strips in winter, or a bright yellow vest with strips on, but not always.

If I get grief as a result of being in primary position then its quite clear that the buggers have seen me, that they've not been able to overtake dangerously close. But, strangely, it isn't that frequent.

So the question is, if I'm visible in primary (and I'm in their line of sight there) whats the advantage in wearing clothing that might wind them up further (and whether you accept it or not, the evidence is that setting ourselves apart more like that does encourage bad behaviour from motorists)?

col

Legendary Member
Its in my experience that i said that.A cyclist in primary,is seen to be purposely holding faster traffic up,thats what gets the reactions,whether its right or wrong,Hi viz and helmets are that common now,i dont suppose anyone bats an eyelid at them,for what they wear.

Even with the average nine inches less,it still makes about three and a half feet gap,left by the average vehicle?,Correct me if i see this wrong,but isnt that ample room anyway?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
*Saddles Giraffe in readiness*

I get it!

The basic idea is really simple, think about it, only ever cycle in primary position, always ahead of the traffic and without Hi-Viz you can then remain anonomous and invisible to all road users and in so doing avoid any molevolent overtures.

How could I have got this so wrong before?
To think I've only worn Hi-Vi in order to make me a clearer target!

Your favourite mobile Christmas Tree(tis the season after all),

T x

Cab

col said:
Its in my experience that i said that.A cyclist in primary,is seen to be purposely holding faster traffic up,thats what gets the reactions,whether its right or wrong,Hi viz and helmets are that common now,i dont suppose anyone bats an eyelid at them,for what they wear.

High viz common? In every city and town I've ridden in, in every place I visit but don't ride too, I rekon its less than 10% of cyclists wearing such things. Ain't that common.

As for a cyclist holding traffic up... Well, no. You're not delaying traffic by being in primary and few motorists get upset by it, but that small number does matter. But the fact is that you're trading a safe location for irritating a small minority of road users; you're safer there because you're visible and close overtaking is hard, you're making people actually go around you as they're meant to do.

Which takes me back to the questions I put to you; are you familiar with the TRL report I put to you? If you're in a visible location and thinking your way through traffic by maintaining visible locations anyway, whats the advantage in wearing bright colours that (according to said report) do reinforce a negative view of cyclists?

Even with the average nine inches less,it still makes about three and a half feet gap,left by the average vehicle?,Correct me if i see this wrong,but isnt that ample room anyway?

Where the heck do you get given three and a half feet of space by all of the overtaking vehicles when you're in secondary?

Cab

tdr1nka said:
*Saddles Giraffe in readiness*

I get it!

The basic idea is really simple, think about it, only ever cycle in primary position, always ahead of the traffic and without Hi-Viz you can then remain anonomous and invisible to all road users and in so doing avoid any molevolent overtures.

How could I have got this so wrong before?
To think I've only worn Hi-Vi in order to make me a clearer target!

Your favourite mobile Christmas Tree(tis the season after all),

T x

So no, don't consider the argument, don't look at the evidence put forward or the information cited, just make a smart arse crack.

col

Legendary Member
The average car passed 1.33 metres (4.4 feet) away from the bicycle, whereas the average truck got 19 centimetres (7.5 inches) closer and the average bus 23 centimetres (9 inches) closer.

This is a bit of the report from the link you gave.

Cab

col said:
The average car passed 1.33 metres (4.4 feet) away from the bicycle, whereas the average truck got 19 centimetres (7.5 inches) closer and the average bus 23 centimetres (9 inches) closer.

This is a bit of the report from the link you gave.

Its from the article about helmet use, which I used because it refers to cyclists being treated worse if they appear different or even just competent. Why are you using that to support an unrelated claim about road positioning?

domd1979

Veteran
Well, why not? After all, I thought this thread was specifically to do with the actions of a bus, all other things being irrelevant. Adopting your tack,all other points should be ignored should they not?

Cab said:
So no, don't consider the argument, don't look at the evidence put forward or the information cited, just make a smart arse crack.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
domd1979 said:
Its recognising that certain colours, and reflective gear at night WILL make you more visible and more visible from further away.

The problem is that you don't need to be seen more and from further away. Normal clothes are just fine for being seen in time. You'll not be seen if the driver is not looking, and that's the problem that HiViz can't solve.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
domd1979 said:
The point made was that most buses now go round with headlights on at all times. The companies that have introduced this policy have seen a significant reduction in accidents. Logical conclusion = making something on the road more conspicuous (even though you'd think a bus would be pretty obvious) can help.

I believe this is incorrect. I saw a recent study on how DRL (daytime running lights) actually brought an increase in accident rates to motorcyclists.

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
High viz common? In every city and town I've ridden in, in every place I visit but don't ride too, I rekon its less than 10% of cyclists wearing such things. Ain't that common.

As for a cyclist holding traffic up... Well, no. You're not delaying traffic by being in primary and few motorists get upset by it, but that small number does matter. But the fact is that you're trading a safe location for irritating a small minority of road users; you're safer there because you're visible and close overtaking is hard, you're making people actually go around you as they're meant to do.

Which takes me back to the questions I put to you; are you familiar with the TRL report I put to you? If you're in a visible location and thinking your way through traffic by maintaining visible locations anyway, whats the advantage in wearing bright colours that (according to said report) do reinforce a negative view of cyclists?

Where the heck do you get given three and a half feet of space by all of the overtaking vehicles when you're in secondary?

Like i said,in my experience,i see a lot of hi viz on cyclists now,and more helmets too,i would say a lot more than 10% on viz vests,but i couldnt say by how much.but not on helmets,they havnt caught on as much it seems.

Whether primary is the right thing to do doesnt matter,but like it or not,when a cyclist is in the middle of the road,it does annoy drivers,they see it as unnecassary delay,and its that that causes reaction from drivers,not what we wear.

Any form of hi viz or bright colours do help to be seen,i dont understand how it cant help in some way?An accident a week or so ago,when a taxi pulled out into the side of a car,whos colour was dark brown,may have been avoided if the cars colour was brighter,the way it seemed was the taxi looked left before pulling out of a side road,but failed to notice the car that was nearly in front of him,the only thing that could explain this,is that the taxi driver looked left ,behind the car,Where he expected there might be something,and failed to notice it,due to its colour.The only thing that helped cause this ,is it seems ,the fact that the cars colour camoflaged it into the background,so making it less noticeable to the taxi.I know this is assumption,but i think its a fair assumption,when the car was just to the left of and nearly in front of the taxi as it pulled out,parked cars wont have helped,but i think a brighter coloured car would probably have been noticed.
My point is,on a bike,if we dont wear noticeable colours,and rely on being in,what we see as ,visible positions,then we are taking risks,because sometimes things can be right in front of us ,and they are less noticeable, when a driver is looking where they expect something to be,not where it actually is.So there has to be some advantage to more noticeable colours?

I thought that was the report in the link you gave,which is where i got the three and a half foot thing from?

domtyler

Über Member
col said:

Col, you are a bus driver first and a cyclist second, by your own admission.
This is why your preference is to cycle, when you cycle, in a submissive road position. You may get less hassle, but that is a direct consequence of the fact that your positioning just means that drivers are totally oblivious to your presence on the road, you may as well not be there and they will not consider you when they perform any kind of manoeuvre. You may well feel that you are safer like this and I sincerely hope that you never come to any harm on the roads, but the evidence clearly shows that people cycling using your style are far more likely to be killed or seriously injured by a motor vehicle.

Top Bottom