Was this bus driver bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
*shakes head* and walks away. I'm sure you wouldn't act like that in real life mate.

I probably wouldnt Mike,But the lengths cab has gone to,to catch me out or say something that isnt true,then go on to say my judgment is poor,or stupid,is unbelievable.so im not getting pulled into any thing he might be trying to dissect again.

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
Cop out. You've estimated distances elsewhere in this discussion, you've said that seven feet is 'unrealistic', you've said that you're comfortable with 'three and a half feet', you're bottling out of answering the question that would conclusively show that your overtaking isn't too close. Why?

Oh i see what your getting at,yes seven feet is unrelistic,for us to expect all the time,but it isnt what i subscribe to,when i am the vehicle.it was what i have come to expect from other vehicles when i am cycling,but you assumed because of that,that is what i think is safe,and something i do myself,as a car driver.
And i havnt said im comfortable with it,i just havnt felt in danger yet.

Cab

col said:
I probably wouldnt Mike,But the lengths cab has gone to,to catch me out or say something that isnt true,then go on to say my judgment is poor,or stupid,is unbelievable.so im not getting pulled into any thing he might be trying to dissect again.

You've contradicted yourself over, and over. You've described pretty silly judgement about safe overtaking distances. And you've then bottled out of defining how closely you overtake, after first saying that the distance required to safely overtake a tall cyclist is 'unrealistic'.

I don't have to do anything clever here; I've even given you an easy out. I've given you the chance to say that no, you don't overtake within the lane (which would of course be contradicting yourself), to say that you pass a cyclist at a distance such that if he wobbles and falls you'll miss him (which would be contradicting yourself), to say that your definition of a safe overtaking distance is something other than three and a half feet. But, no. Instead you've bottled, you will neither say how much space you'd leave nore will you defend the overtaking distance you do leave.

And instead, rather than just stick up for yourself in a reasoned discussion, you have again and again resorted to abuse.

Honestly, why are you even here?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
col said:

Sorry Col, I was talking to Cab there, not you.

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
You've contradicted yourself over, and over. You've described pretty silly judgement about safe overtaking distances. And you've then bottled out of defining how closely you overtake, after first saying that the distance required to safely overtake a tall cyclist is 'unrealistic'.

I don't have to do anything clever here; I've even given you an easy out. I've given you the chance to say that no, you don't overtake within the lane (which would of course be contradicting yourself), to say that you pass a cyclist at a distance such that if he wobbles and falls you'll miss him (which would be contradicting yourself), to say that your definition of a safe overtaking distance is something other than three and a half feet. But, no. Instead you've bottled, you will neither say how much space you'd leave nore will you defend the overtaking distance you do leave.

And instead, rather than just stick up for yourself in a reasoned discussion, you have again and again resorted to abuse.

Honestly, why are you even here?

Ok cab,it obvious that your not going to accept i dont do the close overtaking bit,and it is probably safe to say,im not good on the debate with words.
The reality is,most vehicles dont give enough room,thats what iv come to terms with,as im cycling.
I give as much room as i can,if i cant give enough room,i wont pass until i can.
That measurement of three and a half feet, was introduced by you in a link,and i said that its ok,there is my mistake,i dont think it is a safe distance,but in general,thats what seems to be the norm at the moment ,which is what iv got used to,even though its not as safe as it could be.
My abuse meaning the peanut bit?that was my reaction to your incessant attacking,and assuming,and insulting me with im poor or dangerous,in a hinting way.
As for contradicting myself,your the one saying i have,but i cant see how i have?

Iv just noticed the "why are you even here" bit,well thanks very much cab,because i havnt been able to counter your rediculous insinuations,and asumptions,you resort to this sort of thing,well there seems to be more people here,who will debate something without making it a personal attack on someones ability,also people here have a laugh and joke on about things,and generally chew the breeze,and even help with queries about bikes too,thats why i m here.

OP
OP
nethalus

nethalus

It's like I said before Col, he don't like us bus drivers. So no matter what we say he'll reply with long winded assumptions. Like he assumed I've never ridden a bike, which I have. Used to commute to work and back regularily on a bike before I learnt to drive. Admittedly it was only a mile there and a mile back home again.

Blimey! ;) Pop away for a few days and this thing grows legs of it's own! I wouldn't know where to start.

Oh well I'm off to have a beer.... Happy hogmanay!! :biggrin:

Cab

col said:
Ok cab,it obvious that your not going to accept i dont do the close overtaking bit,and it is probably safe to say,im not good on the debate with words.
The reality is,most vehicles dont give enough room,thats what iv come to terms with,as im cycling.

Cycle in primary position on roads where it is appropriate to doso. Then, by far the majority of all vehicles will give you safe overtaking room. You're being passed too closely because you're not cycling on the right road space.

I give as much room as i can,if i cant give enough room,i wont pass until i can.

How much space is too little, i.e. how much room is not enough? You're dancing arouond the question and just not aswering. Theres only really one rational conclusion to draw from that.

That measurement of three and a half feet, was introduced by you in a link,and i said that its ok,there is my mistake,i dont think it is a safe distance,but in general,thats what seems to be the norm at the moment ,which is what iv got used to,even though its not as safe as it could be.

Contradicting yourselg again.

My abuse meaning the peanut bit?that was my reaction to your incessant attacking,and assuming,and insulting me with im poor or dangerous,in a hinting way.
As for contradicting myself,your the one saying i have,but i cant see how i have?

Unbelievable. Even after being told specifically where you've contradicted yourself you can't see it.

Bottom line; you've advocated road positioning by cyclists that is less than safe, and you've defined the space required for safe overtaking of cyclists as unrealistic. When challenged on those points you've crawled under your shell and just not engaged on those points.

Get off the roads. Don't cycle, your positioning is terrible. And don't drive, if you're unable to even estimate how far you give when overtaking bikes, you just shoudn't be out there.

well, that does for Col! Is there anybody else you'd like to see off the roads, Cab? I confess to not having pedal reflectors. Just say the word, and I'll hang up my Shimano......

OP
OP
nethalus

nethalus

Cab said:
Cycle in primary position on roads where it is appropriate to doso. Then, by far the majority of all vehicles will give you safe overtaking room. You're being passed too closely because you're not cycling on the right road space.

How much space is too little, i.e. how much room is not enough? You're dancing arouond the question and just not aswering. Theres only really one rational conclusion to draw from that.

Contradicting yourselg again.

Unbelievable. Even after being told specifically where you've contradicted yourself you can't see it.

Bottom line; you've advocated road positioning by cyclists that is less than safe, and you've defined the space required for safe overtaking of cyclists as unrealistic. When challenged on those points you've crawled under your shell and just not engaged on those points.

Get off the roads. Don't cycle, your positioning is terrible. And don't drive, if you're unable to even estimate how far you give when overtaking bikes, you just shoudn't be out there.

Geez, I think Col has said half a dozen times that he passes wide when over taking cyclists, and if he can't overtake safely then he don't. Surely that's good enough and acceptable by most normal people?
Secondly if Col does not feel intimidated when vehicles overtake him when riding his bike then why should that mean he's doing anything wrong? Have you ever seen him ride? If not how do you know his positioning is terrible?
And lastly, sorry but until you get voted leader of the world, you do not have any rights to tell people they cannot ride or drive on the public road simply because of your very biased opionions!

STOP!

Off to bed now all of you. Brush teeth first and then 10 minutes reading a book before lights out................

domtyler

Über Member
simon l& and a half said:
well, that does for Col! Is there anybody else you'd like to see off the roads, Cab? I confess to not having pedal reflectors. Just say the word, and I'll hang up my Shimano......

Get off the roads. Don't cycle, your reflection levels are terrible. And don't drive, if you're unable to even estimate how reflective you need to be on a bike you just shouldn't be out there.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Don’t worry guys, Cab maybe not the best cyclist either. How many times have we heard him go on about slapping cyclists in the face whilst indicating left? (like below)

Cab said:
Further on, I'm out in primary, I look over my shoulder, indicate to turn left, brake gently, indicate again, and slap another cyclist in the face as I do so; he's completely missed me indicating and rather than overtaking around the outside he's trying to get through kerb-side. Neither of us came off but he didn't half swear at me.

Now, I know, you have to give and take and use primary and secondary road positions as appropriate, but the problem I often have in Cambridge at this time of year is just how many cyclists here are complete muppets who don't know to respect other peoples spacing and road positioning, who don't get why every gap on the road is a good place to dive in to.

Whats the best way for dealing with such traffic situations? I'm leaving enough space on the road to be safe when dealing with motorised vehicles, and those gaps get filled with other bikes. Whats the solution?

Cyclecraft page 103.

Before you turn, check another cyclist or motorcyclist is not coming up behind you and with whom your turn might conflict if they try to come between you and the kerb. Glance behind over your left shoulder to be sure

Once OK, twice (hmmm), three times – might be time to adjust the riding style?

Cab

gambatte said:
Once OK, twice (hmmm), three times – might be time to adjust the riding style?

Thats the only time its happened while I've been moving (the other times have been when in a stop box at the front of traffic, indicating left, and RLJing cyclists turningright have undertaken, gone straight through the lights, straight through my arm). And if I wasn't willing to accept criticism for that, I wouldn't have posted it.

And while the other guy was being a dick in the situation cited there, the criticism of me there is entirely fair. How the heck is that in any way relevant here?

Top Bottom