Was this cyclist bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have a look at this video:

The chap makes two mistakes. One which is naughty and really gets him nowhere (this type of RLJing has been described elsewhere on the forum) and another potentially potential fatal mistake.

What do you think?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Hold on. There appears to be a problem with the video. I'll get it sorted.....

Edit: working now!!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Terminator said:
Technically he stopped at the red light.

No he didn't. He stopped because the traffic was so busy that he couldn't get across. The red light was a good few metres back.

Was he any safer than me though?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Terminator said:
What is the serious mistake?

The motorist saw him fine.Ok probably best to check both ways before he pulls off in case of a RLJing motorist.He wasn't in any hurry and you said "Oh weel oil overtake 'im anyway".Didn't look like he was in any hurry.

The RLJ was not serious from a road safety point of view (although it does provide the RLJ excuse to drivers etc).

Has no-one spotted it yet Just wondering if anyone else will see it. I must admit I didn't at the time.....

magnatom said:
No he didn't. He stopped because the traffic was so busy that he couldn't get across. The red light was a good few metres back.

Was he any safer than me though?

I tend to do the same.There are a set of lights with PC World (going towards London) across the road at Mile End and I pull up to stop cars doing a left on me.Although once a car did exactly this after confusing me and blowing his horn like mad.

Are you saying in all the years I have stopped slightly further than the cars that it has been my intention to jump the lights?

It didn't actually look like he was making any effort to jump the lights.

IMHO.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Terminator said:
I tend to do the same.There are a set of lights with PC World (going towards London) across the road at Mile End and I pull up to stop cars doing a left on me.Although once a car did exactly this after confusing me and blowing his horn like mad.

Are you saying in all the years I have stopped slightly further than the cars that it has been my intention to jump the lights?

It didn't actually look like he was making any effort to jump the lights.

IMHO.

By crossing the line (especially that far!) he had already jumped the lights. The point I am trying to make is that there was no point in doing this. I had filtered and stopped one car back. I felt very safe here and was within the law. This chap was no safer, but had jumped the lights.

Sure it isn't the worst crime, but an unnecessary misdemeanor none the less.

Molecule Man

I'm not an advocate of RLJing and I (almost) never do it myself. The RLJing bit here looked fairly mild, he seemed to know the junction well enough to know when the lights had changed in his favour. I suppose he was effectively carving out his own ASL.

Top Bottom