Washer dryer Vs separate washing machine n tumble dryer.....any thoughts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Legendary Member
Tempting fate here, but I have had 2 washer driers in last 20 years - current one going strong.

I have no qualms about it being a washer dryer. It washes well, it drys well. No issues so far with reliability with wither of them.

Space may be the deciding factor for the OP

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I left mine on all night last night and it's right next door to my son's room, he doesn't complain about it even if it's on when he's going off to sleep

added bonus is he wakes up fresh and dry rather than a sweaty mess when the de-humid is on?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you need a dryer, you can get compact ones - we have one in the porch - but only used for emergencies - i.e. too much washing on the go.

Alex321

Veteran
We did once have a very good washer-Drier, but that was bought over 40v years ago, and the brand has since been taken over more than once, and are nothing like the same quality even if they still make them.

Do you have enough height to stack a separate tumble drier on top of a washing machine. If so, that is the option I would take.

Sharky

Guru
Do you have enough height to stack a separate tumble drier on top of a washing machine. If so, that is the option I would take.
If going down this route, when looking for a tumble drier, look out for where the water collection tank is. Some at the top and some at the bottom. You need the latter for stacking , but this would be clumsy if kept seperate onthe floor.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
What's the biggest load you've put in your current machine, on a regular basis?
Can understand the independence part, but on larger loads would you be able to combine them with the main part of the house. Might benefit both doing it this way.

Was pondering that and the answer is......I have no idea. Seriously, does anyone actually weigh their washing.
Google tells me they will only dry 50% of their wash capacity but as it is only me I am not sure that is a problem.
Google also te⁰ lls me they are very slow to dry.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Tempting fate here, but I have had 2 washer driers in last 20 years - current one going strong.

I have no qualms about it being a washer dryer. It washes well, it drys well. No issues so far with reliability with wither of them.

Space may be the deciding factor for the OP

How do you find the drying speed and quantity?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
We did once have a very good washer-Drier, but that was bought over 40v years ago, and the brand has since been taken over more than once, and are nothing like the same quality even if they still make them.

No, sadly not

Alex321

Veteran
If going down this route, when looking for a tumble drier, look out for where the water collection tank is. Some at the top and some at the bottom. You need the latter for stacking , but this would be clumsy if kept seperate onthe floor.

That is if it is a condenser dryer of course. .

classic33

Leg End Member
Was pondering that and the answer is......I have no idea. Seriously, does anyone actually weigh their washing.
Google tells me they will only dry 50% of their wash capacity but as it is only me I am not sure that is a problem.
Google also te⁰ lls me they are very slow to dry.
Wasn't entirely thinking just about the weight, physical size just as much.

As for who weighs their washing, I do. At least initially and work from there on subsequent loads if it's roughly the same items going in.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Save the planet. Get a washing line and a bag of pegs.
Investigate the spin efficiency of a washing machine. The better spin, the drier the washed clothes.
My choice: Miele washer; pegs. Washer is 15 years old. I have a decent outside space on a windy hill.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Mrs Tkk has only recently ( last week ) started using the dehumidifier that we purchased for our daughter. This was quickly replaced with an Ebac unit and the original " Blyss " unit was sitting unused in the spare room. We're finding it excellent in laundry mode and the latent heat it produces helps towards keeping the heating bills down.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Two machines are still better than one, but WD machines are very much better than they used to be, and a great solution in your circumstances. Plenty of reviews online, but consensus is Bosch for premium and Beko for cheaper.

Be aware that if you stick an 8kg load in you'll have to take some out to dry it as the dryer load is always lower than the maximum drum wash load. Oh and all dryers take bloody ages these days, these included!

Domestically yours etc

Profpointy

Legendary Member
My first machine was a washer / dryer but I virtually never bothered with dryer mode despite living in a top floor flat. I just hung stuff up or put it on the radiators. Apart from flooding the lady downstairs once it was reliable, and to be fair I don't think this was to do with the dual-purpose aspects

Never bothered with a dryer at all in subsequent places

Top Bottom