Washer dryer Vs separate washing machine n tumble dryer.....any thoughts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dicko

Guru
I would recommend a dryer and a washing machine. We bought Beko 10kg washer and Beko 10kg drier both the cheapest you could buy and seven + years on both working extremely well. My friend has a washer/drier and it takes ages and ages costs ££££££ to run.

presta

Guru
The condenser dryer in our office isn't even connected to a water supply.
Presumably it has a heat pump being as tumble dryers don't need wash water.

Washer dryers already have a water supply so it's cheaper to use it rather than fit a heat pump, the condenser on my 9934 was just a plastic air duct with a trickle of cold water cascading down the inside surface, so that the vapour condenses on contact with the water, for a fraction of the cost. You can see it in this picture, it's the light blue moulding with the inspector's stamp on it, the convoluted hose is an air vent, the cold water feed is the plain hose immediately behind it. I once had a problem with the pump cavitating due to the repair man fitting it in the wrong orientation, which meant that the condenser feed water was refilling the drum during the drying cycle, and the condenser was one of the parts he replaced before he found the problem, so I kept the one he took off as a spare, being as there was nothing wrong with it. It might even still be in the loft somewhere.

1699548732673.png

Does the dryer do the washing cycle in your machine?

Being as I don't see any reason for a washer dryer to use more wash water, I assumed you were using the term "wash cycle" in general terms to mean a complete wash & dry.

simongt

Guru
Agree with separate units. If a duo unit goes wrong, you've lost both functions, not just one. :dry:
We've never had or used a tumble dryer; although there's only ever been two of us thus we don't have the volume of a family ; outside, weather permitting. Otherwise indoors on the clothes horse. :okay:

tom73

Guru
Washing machines are not made like they were used to be. Heavy duty with spares available for machines 10yrs old or more

Buy one that has 5 year warranty, be delighted if it's lasts longer than 5 years. Buy another once it fails for anything more than door seals or latches

https://www.ebac.com/washing-machines/range
Come with 7 year warranty and they are totally British made and designed.

As for OP question my mate had a 2 in one and it was for ever going wrong. They had the repair guy out every few months, that was once they battled to get them to fix it every time they claimed it was fixed last time.

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Never had a dryer. In the winter we use airers aided by an elderly dehumidifier (known to the family as Hugh). The towels and bedding are the most tricky.

alicat

Legendary Member
Never had a dryer either. I give the clothes a good spin and hang them either on a clothes horse in the spare room, on a rack in the spare room or on a washing line in the garden in nice weather.

I don't have room for a separate dryer and I don't like the amount of energy that tumble dryers necessitate.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I think hanging wet clothes up inside can cause damp and mould. Fair enough if you can hang it next to a boiler or radiator and have the window open. I use a tumble dryer and the cost is better than seeing wet clothes hung up which I just don't like. In the warmer weather the clothes always go on the washing line outside. Obviously different things work for different people.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Single household here, never had a dryer.
I do 3 washings a week - change the bed once a week, intimates sometimes twice a day, work uniform changed daily, other clothing get changes every two days, bath towel will get washed once a week too.
I have got a large clothes horse my spare room, also a dehumidifier, but have stopped using that since the leccy became astronomical in price.
The washings dry in two days max during winter, one day in summer: a good spin is the secret!
In spite of drying clothes inside, plus having wet bike and wet cycling gear also inside, I don't get damp or mould in the flat, but I do open 2 windows for at least one hour every day, even in winter.

johnnyb47

Guru
I've got a washing machine and a tumble dryer in the kitchen.I never use the tumble dryer though.It costs to much money to run.Instead I just simply hang my clothes on an indoor airer and let the dehumidifier do it's magic..It seems to work for me.

spen666

Legendary Member
How do you find the drying speed and quantity?

I have no problems with either. The amount that you can dry properly in drier mode is about 50% of washing capacity.

I try to avoid using drier if I can avoid it. I would recommend getting a machine with highest spin speed you can. This should mean you need to use drier less & can get items out of washing machine onto clothes airer easier

Top Bottom