Washer dryer Vs separate washing machine n tumble dryer.....any thoughts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Another decision due to my complete change of circumstances.
From a large house with large kitchen plus utility I am moving into a 'granny flat' with a small kitchen.
We have, for many years, had separate w/m n dryer.
I am having the kitchen refurbed and space is at a premium. A (single) friend has suggested a washer/dryer. He has one as do his parents. He swears by his (Bosch).
Technology moves on but this is a totally new concept to me.......so....
Any thoughts/experience ?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Washer and dryer separate. I asked a washer repair guy this and he confirmed what I thought. Get both.
Or I'd get a washer and pay for it dried at the laundrette or get a dehumidifier. They are smaller obviously.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Both or use a dehumidifier and airer. Dryers are expensive to run, and if you do need one, could you use the one in the main house ?

agree with this. stand alone washing machine, small dehumid and airer / washing line outside in good weather. Use TD next door if you really need to. our old TD is in the (posh) shed and very rarely gets used.

vickster

Legendary Member
My parents have just used into a rented place with a washer drier…it’s useless as a drier! Takes 3 hours to dry anything (luckily leccy is included in their rent). it’s an Indesit, an expensive Bosch or Miele might be better I guess.
However, at the weekend, we moved their old one from the about to be sold house…my mum is far happier! (It’s not safe for her to have washing stands and dehumidifiers all over the place to fall over and the leccy cost doesn’t matter),

Upshot… get decent separate appliances!

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Another decision due to my complete change of circumstances.
From a large house with large kitchen plus utility I am moving into a 'granny flat' with a small kitchen.
We have, for many years, had separate w/m n dryer.
I am having the kitchen refurbed and space is at a premium. A (single) friend has suggested a washer/dryer. He has one as do his parents. He swears by his (Bosch).
Technology moves on but this is a totally new concept to me.......so....
Any thoughts/experience ?

I make do with drying everything on the radiators because I'm in a one bed first floor flat. In the summer it all dries in a matter of hours when the heating isn't on. In the winter it all dries in a matter of hours when the heating is on, although i do have to do a bit of juggling. It's worked for me for 20 years and it's saved me replacing a dryer every whenever.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Both or use a dehumidifier and airer. Dryers are expensive to run, and if you do need one, could you use the one in the main house ?

I could but I want as much independence as possible.

Alex H

Legendary Member
New house integrated washer / dryer. 4 years on washer goes pop. Replaced with single washer as the dryer was rubbish anyway. Washing dries on clothes horse - overnight usually. Had a combination one a long time ago and it was poor at drying too.

mustang1

Guru
I have no experience of 2-in-1 machines but I have heard a long time ago that it's better to have separate machines due to reliability issues. It's worth talking to some people who have more recent experience of 2in1 machines and tech and reliability could have moved on.

Hint: it might be worth talking to some younger people who have 2in1s as us maturer lot don't like change much and stick with the same things we heard about years ago.

classic33

Leg End Member
Waste of money, as it's neither one or the other. Don't know why, but they use more water per wash than a washer.

Parts, if needed later, will be harder come by and be more expensive than similar parts for either a washer or drier.
They also "eat" electric. More than individual seperate washer and drier.

CXRAndy

Guru
Washing machines are not made like they were used to be. Heavy duty with spares available for machines 10yrs old or more

Buy one that has 5 year warranty, be delighted if it's lasts longer than 5 years. Buy another once it fails for anything more than door seals or latches

classic33

Leg End Member
I could but I want as much independence as possible.
What's the biggest load you've put in your current machine, on a regular basis?
Can understand the independence part, but on larger loads would you be able to combine them with the main part of the house. Might benefit both doing it this way.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Last washer/dryer I used was 20 years ago admittedly, but it was rubbish at drying I'd go for separates, or a dehumidifer for drying. They are easily movable, fairly quiet if in another room. I left mine on all night last night and it's right next door to my son's room, he doesn't complain about it even if it's on when he's going off to sleep

Top Bottom