Hosepipe for pressure washer etc, but nothing seems to fit the outside tap?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I've decided I need a pressure washer for doing my flag stones outside and round the back generally. Obviously I need a hosepipe to attach to the pressure washer. The problem is that no hosepipe adapter/end appears to fit my outside tap for some reason? I don't know what end to get. I have in the past bought hosepipes with adaptors on them and then had to return the whole lot because they wont fit the outside tap.
If I post a photo on here of the outside tap can someone tell me what end I need please for the hosepipe? Thanks. Or do I need a new outside tap?

I don't want one of those pressure washers that gets it water from a bucket, I want a proper one that is decent and runs from the hosepipe. Thanks.

Mike_P

Guru
Think a photo would definitely help.

Photo??

anyway - I just have a standard outside tap witha screw on the end of it

I have a Hoselock adapter that screws onto the tap
then a standard Hoselock push fit adapter that goes onto that

then a load of hose finishing with another Hoselock thing on the end of that which connects to the power washer
I have had 3 different power washers and they have all had the same Hoselock type connector

Obviously there are Hoselock copies around - but they work the same and all fit each other

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Thank you for your replies. I'll put the photo up tomorrow. Its too dark now plus the tap has its jacket on and some string tied round it etc.

Dadam

As @ebikeerwidnes we have a tap with a screw thread and a genuine hozelock adaptor on it. Must have been on 15 years and still works perfectly. Hose just clicks on and off. It's faded a bit with the UV but even the o-ring is still ok, no leaks

Mike_P

Guru
Thread reminded me my frost cover on my outside tap disappeared in the last storm. Just wrapped some bubble wrap around it.

presta

Guru
How old is the tap, garden hose taps have changed over the years. When I had one in the 1960s the outlet flange standard was 1/2" BSP, but the current fashion seems to be 3/4" BSP, the same as washing machine taps.

icowden

Veteran
I've decided I need a pressure washer for doing my flag stones outside and round the back generally. Obviously I need a hosepipe to attach to the pressure washer. The problem is that no hosepipe adapter/end appears to fit my outside tap for some reason? I don't know what end to get. I have in the past bought hosepipes with adaptors on them and then had to return the whole lot because they wont fit the outside tap.
There are three types of connector as far as I am aware
The screw on which usually comes with an insert which you can use depending on the width of your tap:-

RKT5YN5_va6vtVJhv0ZopfhmFeCUENbia6I2_RWoyQS9q9COf3.jpg

Then you have the compression fit:-
ing_round_mixer_tap_connector_max_24mm_540x540px_1.jpg

IMHO these never work well.
And then you get this type that compresses onto the end of a tap, for use on taps with no thread that are too big for the type above:-
RS4z1AjKYHFihxWYWdnAiTok5sKPSvYT7TGnQMGQRNEDxKQxBZ.jpg

One of these ought to fit your tap. Looking forward to the tap picture!!

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
How old is the tap, garden hose taps have changed over the years. When I had one in the 1960s the outlet flange standard was 1/2" BSP, but the current fashion seems to be 3/4" BSP, the same as washing machine taps.

I don't know, maybe 15-20 years old. Definitely not from the 1960s though. If its obsolete then I will get a new tap fitted this summer.

Top Bottom