Hosepipe for pressure washer etc, but nothing seems to fit the outside tap?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Outdoor taps usually have a thread on them,usually 1/2" BSP. Note the 1/2" is the diameter of the pipe that goes with it, the thread being maybe 3/4" actual size but it's designated 1/2" BSP (British Standard Pipe)

You can get hozelock or hozelock compatible fittings for this, but I strongly recommend Nito 5 fittings as they are simply superior. Once I discovered them I bought a full set including a new fitment for on the power washer itself

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20203057...NNhB5fnQee&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Hi Everyone, Here it is and I unscrewed the nozzle for you to see.

Attachments

• P1020783.JPG
    P1020783.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 42
  • P1020780.JPG
    P1020780.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 44
  • P1020782.JPG
    P1020782.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 42
Hi Everyone, Here it is and I unscrewed the nozzle for you to see.

Right - I see

In my opinions - for what it is worth - you have 2 choices

1) use the tap as in picture 3 and get a Hoselock (or knock off version) screw on thingy. This will give you a standard female Hoselock connector one on each end of the hosepipe will allow the hosepipe to connect to the tap at one end and the powerwasher at the other

2) a standard Hoselock connector (female) on one end of the hosepipe to connect to the power washer and bare end of the hose at the tap end
Then push the hose over the tap as in picture 2 and tighten it on with a jubilee clip of a suitable size
2 hints - firstly put the jubilee clip over the hose first (I wish I had a quid for every time I have forgottne to do that!)
secondly - get a mug of boiling water and dunk the end of the hose in it before pushing it over the tap end - make the hose more pliable.
Washing up liquid can also help - other lubes are available!

Hope this helps

classic33

Leg End Member
Why not a short length of hose attached to the spigot in place, hose clip holding it in place, with a female connector on the other end.
You then just attach your hose to that.

Alex321

Veteran
I would agree with the others, that looks like one of the standard screw on hozelock adapters should fit with the nozzle off. Measure the diameter so you know whether it is the 1 inch or 3/4 inch or 1/2 inch.

I would get a metal one rather than plastic if you can.
https://www.hozelock.com/product/3-4-1-2-outdoor-tap-connector-pro/ (3/4 inch, with a (plastic) insert for 1/2 inch)
Https://www.hozelock.com/product/1-2-outdoor-tap-connector/ (1/2 inch)
Https://www.hozelock.com/product/1-pro-metal-outdoor-tap-connector/ (1 inch)

Unbranded from toolstation (1/2 inch) https://www.toolstation.com/brass-tap-connector/p66154

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Hi, I've just measured the diameter with the screw bit off and its about 23mmish, so would you get the fitting for the inch please? 1 inch is 25.4mm.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Hi, I've just measured the diameter with the screw bit off and its about 23mmish, so would you get the fitting for the inch please? 1 inch is 25.4mm.

Here are some pictures of mine, which is a 1/2" BSP. As you can see the external diameter is a touch over an inch. I'd guess the internal diameter of your fitting would be closer to 23mm.

The adaptor is the nito 5 style I mentioned. The hozelock version is visually similar, but in my view not as good. Somehow the nito manages to dispense with the o-ring which can be troublesome, and the metal is less prone to corrosion the the brass ones

I did a bit of a google and got different figures again -perhaps the pipe external diameter?

1905F39F-E286-41CA-9422-40EA64AB3EEE.jpeg

0DE0E68B-92D3-46C3-A4B2-EEF89FDAE9D2.jpeg

075C4165-E121-48D9-90BD-6AC9550F886E.jpeg

icowden

Veteran

yes, get the inch. Most of them come with adapters for the smaller sizes anyway. If it's a little leaky some PTFE tape wrapped around the thread before you put the new nozzle on will help pad it out and seal the gaps.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
yes, get the inch. Most of them come with adapters for the smaller sizes anyway. If it's a little leaky some PTFE tape wrapped around the thread before you put the new nozzle on will help pad it out and seal the gaps.

You really do not want 1" BSP - on the link to hozelock themselves they say 1"Bsp is 33mm diameter which is for a huge tap as you might find on a farm

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Lol, So in conclusion, can we have an agreement regarding which size I should buy please? Thank you everyone who has bothered to reply and help me with this.

Top Bottom