Washer dryer Vs separate washing machine n tumble dryer.....any thoughts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Was pondering that and the answer is......I have no idea. Seriously, does anyone actually weigh their washing.
Google tells me they will only dry 50% of their wash capacity but as it is only me I am not sure that is a problem.
Google also te⁰ lls me they are very slow to dry.

how many loads a week are you doing at the moment? Most things are likely pretty light with the exception of jeans, towels, duvet covers. Do you tumble dry most things (personally I only use for towels/bedding in the winter). Do you have space to dry outside in warmer/drier/less humid weather?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
If you have access to a dryer in the main house, I'd just use that. You can still be independent, Its just like being a student. Obviously its how you feel about things at the end of the day though.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
how many loads a week are you doing at the moment? Most things are likely pretty light with the exception of jeans, towels, duvet covers. Do you tumble dry most things (personally I only use for towels/bedding in the winter). Do you have space to dry outside in warmer/drier/less humid weather?

I wash the bedding** once per week. Get up, strip the bed and shove it in the washer. Once washed it goes in the dryer.

**(double bed) duvet cover, base sheet, mattress protector and pillow cases.
Dark wash is approx once a week.....no set day.

Everything goes in the dryer, even in summer......don't have a washing line.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
If you have access to a dryer in the main house, I'd just use that. You can still be independent, Its just like being a student. Obviously its how you feel about things at the end of the day though.

Thank you.
We have talked about that. Daughter and Sil plus 2 grown kids they have 3 dogs and a cat.
I don't want to be queuing up to use the dryer.

vickster

Legendary Member
I wash the bedding** once per week. Get up, strip the bed and shove it in the washer. Once washed it goes in the dryer.

**(double bed) duvet cover, base sheet, mattress protector and pillow cases.
Dark wash is approx once a week.....no set day.

Everything goes in the dryer, even in summer......don't have a washing line.
Would save a fortune having one!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Why would a dog and a cat need a dryer?

They are very clever., but very messy. Every time they cook a 3 course meal their aprons and hats need washing.

presta

Guru
I've had three washer dryers because there isn't any room for separates, so I don't have any experience of anything else.
My parents have just used into a rented place with a washer drier…it’s useless as a drier! Takes 3 hours to dry anything (luckily leccy is included in their rent). it’s an Indesit, an expensive Bosch or Miele might be better I guess.
I've never had separates to compare with, but my Indesit is singularly useless at drying compared with the two previous Hotpoints. I'm tempted to think it might be the 'Eco' design rather than the manufacturer though. The tumble isn't agitating the laundry well enough, so large stuff like sheets come out damp in the middle unless you break the cycle to readjust the load.
it's better to have separate machines due to reliability issues
Mine have been reliable: Hotpoint 9934 12 years, Hotpoint WD60 14 years, Indesit 7125 still going after 9 years.
Don't know why, but they use more water per wash than a washer.
The dryer uses water for the condenser.
They also "eat" electric. More than individual seperate washer and drier.
Has anyone else got an data for comparison?
Mine uses:
500Wh for a wash cycle (synthetics, 40C)
730Wh to dry 7 pairs of socks & pants
1500Wh to dry 2 double sheets & pillowcases.
It washes well
Mine's grinding microfibres off the clothes when the previous ones didn't. I think it's because the Eco design is using enough water to make the clothes waterlogged and heavy, but not enough to hold them in suspension and make them weightless. I can see the way clothes are wearing out faster.

classic33

Leg End Member
Waste of money, as it's neither one or the other. Don't know why, but they use more water per wash than a washer.

Parts, if needed later, will be harder come by and be more expensive than similar parts for either a washer or drier.
They also "eat" electric. More than individual seperate washer and drier.
The dryer uses water for the condenser.

Has anyone else got an data for comparison?
Mine uses:
500Wh for a wash cycle (synthetics, 40C)
730Wh to dry 7 pairs of socks & pants
1500Wh to dry 2 double sheets & pillowcases.
Does the dryer do the washing cycle in your machine?

Top Bottom