Hosepipe for pressure washer etc, but nothing seems to fit the outside tap?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastpedaller

Plumber here. Having only looked at the first page before writing the above note, I've seen all the confusion above. I'm 99% certain you have a 1/2" BSP thread on the end of that tap, so easily obtainable parts! There are 3/4"BSP taps available and I've sourced them for farms around where I live. The 3/4" taps aren't easy to source, and look a lot bigger. BTW the advice above about fitting a new tap is correct for the type of tap you have, which I think you won't find for sale any more. Let me explain.
Usual setup....
1. A 15mm supply pipe
2. A wall=plate elbow screwed to the wall
3. The tap is then screwed into the wall plate elbow, whilst 'supporting' the wall plate elbow with another adjustable spanner to ensure the fittings in the wall and the supply pipe aren't strained. No olive is required.
4. Before screwing the tap in place wrap LOTS of ptfe tape around the thread (so much the thread is barely visible).... that ensures it is both watertight and you can stop turning when the tap is vertical. It seems a bodge, but is the only way because the threads are somewhat loose and of course 'end up where they end up' and you don't want a tap pointing sideways.

BTW your tap is quite old and of a design not generally used any more (I'm sure someone will find one somewhere and tell me I'm wrong :smile: ) as it is a combined wall plate and tap. Of interest is the small screw on the bottom which was intended to be removed to drain down to avoid freezing - on your setup that wouldn't work because the supply pipe would still have water in it ready to freeze!
If you examine taps sold today there is a flat on the underside where this screw would have been, so the same 'moulds' are being used in the production process ;)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
So that's where my verniers went! 😉

"That's not a vernier. THIS is a vernier"

0F9FDC7F-A5BC-4895-8D32-7070605B2C28.jpeg
p

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Because I've done things like this when I was younger and the force of the water just blows the hosepipe off the tap when the hosepipe just has a jubilee clip round. I'm sick and tired of struggling with things and messing about. I want the proper up to date fittings.
when this happens, which may do even with the new fitting, reduce the flow through the tap. My mother's outdoor tap has crazy pressure on full flow, opening it half a turn is about right to feed the pressure washer.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A member of the general public:

"How many cyclists does it take to change a light bulb?"

Cyclist A:

"Ah, now. When you say light bulb..."

Cyclist B:

"Yes, but have you considered...?"

Cyclist C:

"Cyclist A is talking rot. You don't need a step ladder..."

Etc etc ad. inf.

You forgot