Washing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Contradictory statements there, and a pretty accurate description of what i suspect is the problem most of us are experiencing. Things smell ok after a wash but shortly after putting them on and generating some heat or dampness they can smell like you haven't showered or changed clothes for a fortnight!
I have thrown some items in the bin in the past due to the unpleasant smell once things get warmed up xx(

I should have said *post* washing regarding no probs with niffs and pongs. :laugh:

Was up till 4 am doing stuff. My brain is kind of treacley. :blush:

BTW, if you want *really* stinky, fencing kit kind of takes the biscuit. Especially when you're wearing a sabre lame. That's as good a definition of "boil in the bag" as any. :whistle:

You need to wash stuff hot to kill bacteria, 30C won't do it. But then the bleach activator will work and will bleach your kit.

And synthetics like polyester are very retentive to malodour molecules.

Sunlight does for bacteria. Another plus for hanging out on the line - on top of smelling so nice.

Skibird

Contradictory statements there, and a pretty accurate description of what i suspect is the problem most of us are experiencing. Things smell ok after a wash but shortly after putting them on and generating some heat or dampness they can smell like you haven't showered or changed clothes for a fortnight!
I have thrown some items in the bin in the past due to the unpleasant smell once things get warmed up xx(
That actually sounds like the clothes have not been dried properly (left too long in the washing mashine before drying or just not dried enough before putting away)

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
30c doesn't kill bacteria.

Exactly this. The stupid low-temperature washing advice is a load of nonsense put out by the tree-hugger brigade banging on about reducing energy usage. What they fail to point out is that dirty stinky clothing needs a wash at a decent temperature otherwise it is not going to be properly clean after washing. All my working gear gets chucked in the machine at 60 degrees, irrespective of what the garment label says. I don't have any problems with freshly laundered clothing still smelling like it's just been taken off. In fact, apart from delicate woollen items that I don't want shrinking, I pretty much wash everything at 60 degrees.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's got to be over blood heat to kill bacteria and viruses, that's why our bodies raise the temperature when we've got an infection.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's got to be over blood heat to kill bacteria, that's why our bodies raise the temperature when we've got an infection.

It's also why the hot water that comes out of the tap at work is deliberately set to an uncomfortably hot temp - to ensure that bacteria are killed off and can't contaminate the hot water systems and spread illness like Legionaires Disease!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Washing cycling kit isn't good for it because the powder is extremely aggressive and it degrades the elastic threads, which eventually perish and break out of the weave. I tend to wash my kit after about three rides, which seems about right. Nobody complains that I smell!

Top Bottom