Wasp Nest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We are pretty sure we have a wasp nest in the eves of the garage (i.e. in between the barge boards and the roof space, as we can't see it inside.......

The insects are wasp marked/shape but about half the size of the 'big buggers' you normally see......

Fairly certain they are not honey bees - i.e. not furry.............and bright yellow/black abdomens.............

Any advice.....?

According to web stuff, it's getting late in the year, so last chance of non invasive treatment, otherwise August/September, it's a professional job............... i.e. major attacks.........

More concerned with the kids and my cats. The cats love climbing into the garage roof space for a couple of hours kip on hot days......

Do I just get a pro in, as I can't see the nest........ could be in brick voids in the garage............... We know where they get in to the eves...........

Chamfus Flange

Are they causing you any bother? If, not leave them be. If they are, then get a pro.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Cheap way is to leave jam jars( 3/4's filled with water and a bit of jam around the lip) around the area -should kill them off over say a week.

wafflycat

Get in contact with your local authority. They will arrange to come out to kill the blighters off or give you the contact details of a firm to contact. Either way, expect to cough up quite a few pennies.. Needs to be taken care of as if the nest is accidentally disturbed, the blighters can come out and attack en masse. It's not pretty and it's potentially exceedingly serious

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get in contact with your local authority. They will arrange to come out to kill the blighters off or give you the contact details of a firm to contact. Either way, expect to cough up quite a few pennies.. Needs to be taken care of as if the nest is accidentally disturbed, the blighters can come out and attack en masse. It's not pretty and it's potentially exceedingly serious

The last bit is an issue - where they are won't cause me or the kids an issue, but our cats have a habit of getting into the garage roof space...

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
The local authorities don't provide that free service anymore, you need to contact a local pest control company. It doesn't matter that they cant actually see the wasp's nest, they wont remove it anyway. All they need to do is identify the entry point into the roof space and they'll apply some chemical or other that will be carried back by the wasps to kill off the nest.

When I had a wasps nest in my loft years ago I waited until the winter and then got rid of it myself. I was even stupid enough to get rid of a small nest behind the shed during summer once and just as I was taping it with a stick my wife crept up behind me and tickled the back of my neck. I dropped everything and ran like bu99er to the end of the garden before realising it wasn't a wasp. :angry:

Definitely would NOT advise going near a wasp's nest while its still alive.

taxing

We had a wasp nest in our attic and could see them coming and going through a hole in the side of the house, So we got this white powder and squirted it into and around the entrance hole. The theory is that the wasps pick it up as they're going into the nest and spread it around, killing them all. It worked, anyway. Then we boarded the hole up and haven't had a problem since. I don't know what the powder is called through, sorry. And you might want to be careful using it where your cats are likely to go.

waspyfecker

Über Member
Look, just feckin leave us alone alright?!? /predictable]

zacklaws

Guru
Wasp nest's I deal with by waiting till dark for when all the wasp's retire inside. I then get 4 pans of boiling water (I've only got 4 gas rings) and using a small torch with not so bright red light to see what I am doing, you know exactly where the hole is as there will be a few sentries sat outside, pour it all down the hole, the first as fast as I can, the rest can be a bit more slower and accurate. By the amount of buzzing from the ground, it appears they do not like it but it soon goes deadly quite. Next morning if there's no sign of life from the nest, I just smash it up with a spade.

A red light is best as they cannot see it, but a white light they can, I have done it with a small dull white light but it makes the job a bit more hairer

Alternatively in the past I have lit a fire over top of the nest on a night and left it burn, initially starting it with a bit of petrol around the hole to get a good conflagaration going, and then build it up.

Unforttunatly these methods will not work, were your nest is situated, but when I have had similar and it is reachable, then once again, I wait till its dark, go up to the hole, give the sentries a quick spray of wasp killer and then empty the entire contents of the aerosol into the hole and leg it if necessary.

PaulB

Legendary Member
We had one behind the brickwork under the patio doors last year but I got rid of them. There's a foam stuff you can buy from B&Q and places like that which you can squirt liberally into or around the nest and it poisons them before solidifying and making the nest useless to the wasp. This year, we are pretty sure they are nesting in the garden shed and there's loads of them now and impossible to see where the nest actually is because by the time you've got at garden tools etc, you've got a mini-swarm on your hands so we'll have to go pro this time to see them off or it's going to be a big problem in the next six weeks or so.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Just phone the council. they charge about 30 quid to come and deal with it. you should get rid because they harm honey bees, and honey bees are on a decline. also, if you are mistaken and they are honey bees then the council will relocate them to a local beekeeper. If they are honeybees they will only live for a year in the wild, but with a bee keeper they have a chance of living many years because they will have a hive to hibernate in. When the council come out to inspect they will know if they are wasps or honeybees. Also, if you don't destroy a wasps nest, the wasps build on it the next year and you will end up with one double the size, and the next year triple the size and so on and so on. I've seen one that filled 8 bin bags!!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Some great suggestions there.

Fossyant's house tomorrow:

house_fire.jpg

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
if you don't destroy a wasps nest, the wasps build on it the next year and you will end up with one double the size, and the next year triple the size and so on and so on.
When the weather turns cold the wasp colony dies out leaving only the mated queens who move elsewhere to carry on the race the following year. Once the colony has died out the nest is empty and will not be reoccupied although hornets can re-occupy the same nest with a completely new colony.

stephec

Legendary Member
I've had two nests, the first one was inside the frame of a upvc door that had a little hole they were sneaking through, I got the local councill out for this and they charged around £35.

A year later we had a second one in a box in the garden shed, I got a can from B+Q for less than a fiver and did the job myself.

The results were the same each time and I only used about half of the can.

Top Bottom