Wasp sting šŸ - nearly fell into a bush!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CentralCommuter

A wasp (I mean, could have been an air rifle, I didnā€™t set eyes on whatever caused the pain) went right through one of the slats in my cycling helmet (had to write cycling there as if I just wrote helmet I could have caused confusion) and my head is still sore over an hour later! Nearly fell off my bike it was so sore.

Any remedies? Is this a common occurrence?

I've had that. Nasty. I bought a mesh liner for my helmet to stop the beasties getting through. That and a skull cap seems to work.

raggydoll

Ɯber Member
A wasp sting on your helmet!
That's gotta hurt!
1624309229770.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It will go, takes a few hours. I got stung on my forehead between the eyes a few times, but I was destroying a nest. I wasn't on the bike. I'd recommend a cap or skullcap/bandana under the helmet.

I had similar on a tandem ride, when a wasp hit my bottom lip, and curled itself around and stung the rob of my lip, within * minutes it had swelled up significantly.
We called in to the pharmacy and got an antihistamine cream, which helped the pain and swelling.

tyred

Legendary Member
One once somehow got behind my glasses and stung me on the eyelid which wasn't pleasant to say the least.:cursing:

When I was about five, I was playing in the field behind the house and disturbed a wasps nest in the hedgerow and got stung quite literally from head to toe as they got up my jumper and everything. I don't recommend disturbing a wasps nest:cry:

raggydoll

Ɯber Member
Just had a little search...
  • Wash the sting area with soap and water to remove as much of the venom as possible.
  • Apply a cold pack to the wound site to reduce swelling and pain.
  • Keep clean and dry to prevent infection.
  • Cover with a bandage if desired.
Vinegar can also help with wasp stings (but not bee stings).

I've been stung a few times. Pain shouldn't last long. As long as you don't have a reaction (which seems you haven't) you'll be fine in no time.

Just one of those freak accidents!

Wasps really are pointless!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I rode through a small gathering of what I assume were wasps (no sting was left in so that's my assumption), and I caught one in the bicep at about 25mph - air rifle pellet is a good simile! It felt like a solid, sharp impact.
My hand started to go numb, that peaked about 30 minutes later, and the sore bicep lasted a couple of days. They can pack a punch at speed.

Get well soon!

OP
OP
C

CentralCommuter

I rode through a small gathering of what I assume were wasps (no sting was left in so that's my assumption), and I caught one in the bicep at about 25mph - air rifle pellet is a good simile! It felt like a solid, sharp impact.
My hand started to go numb, that peaked about 30 minutes later, and the sore bicep lasted a couple of days. They can pack a punch at speed.

Get well soon!

Sounds very similar. It was about 20 k through a 45k cycle, fairly put pressure on the rest of my cycle! I just found anthisan that went out of date in 2014, I put it on but itā€™s made no difference. Unsurprisingly.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Ouch! One of my worries as a glasses wearer is getting a wasp trapped behind them but it's never happened up to now.

I bought an el cheapo helmet from Aldi a few years ago and this has a built in mesh. I assumed that this was a standard thing yet on casually looking at various helmets of different makes in a bike shop the other day none of them had any sort of mesh in them. I would have thought that among the the other things you look for in a helmet, an insect proof mesh in the vents would be an important feature.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A wasp sting on your helmet!
That's gotta hurt!
I can tell you from experience that it DOES!!!!

I was out riding a few summers back when a wasp flew down the front of my jersey. I leapt off my bike and starting slapping my chest and and tummy regions in the desperate hope of killing it before it stung me.

When I stopped, I could feel a little lump under my jersey and concluded that I'd despatched the wasp so I lifted the jersey to brush its corpse away, only for the stunned creature to wake up and start buzzing in a very intimidating fashion! :ohmy:

I panicked and tried to swat it off me, but only succeeded in knocking it down the front of my bibshorts! I experienced a sense of full-on terror and started leaping up and down, pummelling my nether regions and screaming "Die, bastard, DIE!"

The wasp stung me 3 times where it really hurts before I finally managed to flatten it. I don't know what was worse - the throbbing pain down under, or the embarrassment of looking up and seeing a gobsmacked farmer staring at me from the cab of his tractor in the adjacent field! :biggrin: :blush: :sad:

:laugh:

Kajjal

Guru
Had a wasp sting me on the bottom lip when mountain biking. A sharp stabbing pain but in minutes my lip went numb and rapidly swelled up :ohmy:

Took two days to go back to normal Size.

tyred

Legendary Member
My worry is always getting one in my mouth whilst cycling.

Years ago, a friend of my Mum's had been eating an apple when the phone rang so she set apple down and went out to the hall to answer the phone. A wasp had been crawling over apple and when she came back and continued eating the apple, the sting had been left in the apple and she got stung in the throat which then became swollen and she ended up being rushed to hospital with breathing problems as a result.

Top Bottom