Watch. Do I need one...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm a little confused by "analogue display, digital screen" but this watch will do all that your old one did.....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...Alarm-Stopwatch-Black-Watch-NEW-/283903591657
I had a similar model and after many years the strap broke. I searched online for a replacemet strap but in the end realised a new strap with new watch included was actually cheaper than buying a new strap alone.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Does that actually work, and how long does the battery last if you don't do it?
Good question. I'm assuming that by the battery not losing its charge it'll last longer. The original battery lasted about 15 years when i did the same pull out the wind up thingy. After that battery wore out i kept the watch in a drawer for years without wearing it,so the one in now is only its second battery. About 18 months ago i decided to get a new one put in. It has a 5 year guarantee,which i've kept in the watch's case, just in case it stops working before the five years are up.:whistle:

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I can highly recommend the Tudor Pelagos. Beautifully made, classy, and far more discrete than a Rolex Submariner.

I bet you'd like one of these Mr D!! :okay:

1600993908680.png

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
And I thought I was tight! :laugh:

I thought you were going to say that the watch flattened batteries every few months...
We have to be careful with the pennies not just the pounds,as my grandmother used to say.:whistle:

We also have to think about the watch's mechanism. Would a car engine last for decades if it kept running non stop?🤔

Last edited:
I've always worn a watch and feel lost without one. Current watch was bought in Decathalon around 7 years ago. It's still on the original battery and cost less than £10. The face has a few scratches as I wear it when doing diy or gardening.
Similar story - on it's second battery now. Has no date, just hands - can't see the date with my eyes anyway. Don't think they have this type in store now, all gone digital it seems - shame.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I can highly recommend the Tudor Pelagos. Beautifully made, classy, and far more discrete than a Rolex Submariner.
isn't that like 16mm thick? Nice clasp though.

mustang1

Legendary Member
+1 for Casio G-Shock but not one of those crazy ugly ones. I have two, one where the strap broke, the other where the case disintegrated. But both are 10+ years old.

I'm a little confused by "analogue display, digital screen" but this watch will do all that your old one did.....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...Alarm-Stopwatch-Black-Watch-NEW-/283903591657
I had a similar model and after many years the strap broke. I searched online for a replacemet strap but in the end realised a new strap with new watch included was actually cheaper than buying a new strap alone.
That is the one to have.:okay: (The strap is the weak point; I got mine replaced by local watch/key place recently. Of course it cost more than a new watch! But if felt like the right thing to do in every other way. And it was still cheaper than almost every other watch I could buy.)

The thing with the F91W is it doesn't look daft - it looks functional. I'd hate to look like I'd spent £50 on something that still looked cheap/crap. If I spend £200 on an "everyday" watch I will damage it within a month, and that would really upset me.

I've looked for nicer/better options, but they all cost many times more :sad: I hoped decathlon would step-up, but their cheapies are all hideous.
The G-shocks seem very expensive for no more performance (when I last looked, anyway).

Happy to wear a nice-looking "smart" watch on the right occasion. I have a basic Omega that was my grandad's retirement watch.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I never had a watch for a few years and managed ok but then I inherited a Tommy Hilfiger with hands and a metal strap which I now regard as indispensable.

With a very thin wrist my everday watch is a Certina DS which is roughly of Swatch dimensions and thickness and has a scratch proof sapphire glass. The quartz movement ground to a halt after 25 years so whilst it was being replaced ( it was a pretty std ETA movement) I bought a used Lorus mil style field watch for £10.

I used an old Casio digital watch on a big cycle tour because it was cheap, reliable and had better date and alarm features.
I find G shocks a bit thick and a bit teenage styled but like their practicality.

Top Bottom