Watch. Do I need one...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
...and if so, what should I get for everyday wear.

My faithful everyday watch with analogue display, digital screen, stop watch, alarm, timer, etc has finally lost its usefulness, purely due to the case no longer being able to hold the strap. For some time I have been wondering what to replace it with. My (very random) thoughts are as below:
1) It needs to be robust, with protection from glass scratching. I'm not that careful. My last watch had metal bars protecting the glass, which was very useful, and the watch will stay on my wrist through various DIY, gardening, and finding things down the back of the sofa activities.
2) Do I need a watch? When I was young, the only way to know the time was to see a wall-mounted clock, which isn't much use if I am in the wrong room, or not even in a house. Now time chips are so cheep, and so much uses GPS signals that we can never be that far away from several devices which can tell you the time.
3) I don't want to spend more on a watch than a similar device which can do the same thing.

First thoughts are:
1) Something very cheap with just hands on a face.
2) Something similar to the last one I had. Why change?
3) Some Strava-compatible activity phone that can measure my heartbeat, distance travelled, as well as time, so that I can go jogging without taking a smart phone with me. But I already have a small smart phone (no longer used as a phone) and bicycle computer. Why would I need any more such devices?

I really don't want to buy something I don't really need, or spend a lot of money and the realise there is something cheaper that will do the job as well if not better.

Drago

Legendary Member
G Shock. Will withstand anything a cyclist can throw at it, will last donkeys, and because it isnt frivolous tat won't mark you out as a pretentious, anpttention seeking, nodder.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
...and if so, what should I get for everyday wear.

My faithful everyday watch with analogue display, digital screen, stop watch, alarm, timer, etc has finally lost its usefulness, purely due to the case no longer being able to hold the strap. For some time I have been wondering what to replace it with. My (very random) thoughts are as below:
1) It needs to be robust, with protection from glass scratching. I'm not that careful. My last watch had metal bars protecting the glass, which was very useful, and the watch will stay on my wrist through various DIY, gardening, and finding things down the back of the sofa activities.
2) Do I need a watch? When I was young, the only way to know the time was to see a wall-mounted clock, which isn't much use if I am in the wrong room, or not even in a house. Now time chips are so cheep, and so much uses GPS signals that we can never be that far away from several devices which can tell you the time.
3) I don't want to spend more on a watch than a similar device which can do the same thing.

First thoughts are:
1) Something very cheap with just hands on a face.
2) Something similar to the last one I had. Why change?
3) Some Strava-compatible activity phone that can measure my heartbeat, distance travelled, as well as time, so that I can go jogging without taking a smart phone with me. But I already have a small smart phone (no longer used as a phone) and bicycle computer. Why would I need any more such devices?

I really don't want to buy something I don't really need, or spend a lot of money and the realise there is something cheaper that will do the job as well if not better.

I haven't got a TV watch.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Someone will be along to tell you you need a super duper fancy dandy one, that weighs half the weight of your bike, and will have you walking with a limp wearing it. I always buy cheap ones as I have a habbit of smashing them as I always wear it.

Drago

Legendary Member

pawl

Legendary Member
Up to about a month ago I always wore my watch.Spending more time around the house I don’t really need to wear a watch as we have a clock in every room.Even out on the bike the time is on the Wahoo.
Perhaps it’s an age thing not being tied into time restraints.Can anyone pay my overtime car parking fine.🚘🚘🚘😄😄

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I do like to wear a watch and have several but my daily wearer is a Citizen analogue day/date eco solar powered so no battery to change. Scratch proof glass. 42mm dial. Nice clear face. The strap is fabric and gets dirty but comes up like new with a quick rub with Daz. Bought it secondhand for fifty quid last year.

Last edited:
I've always worn a watch and feel lost without one. Current watch was bought in Decathalon around 7 years ago. It's still on the original battery and cost less than £10. The face has a few scratches as I wear it when doing diy or gardening.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I do like to wear a watch and have several but my daily wearer is a Citizen analogue day/date eco solar powered so no battery to change. Scratch proof glass. 42mm dial. Nice clear face. The strap is fabric and gets dirty but comes up like new with a quick rub with Daz. Bought it secondhand for fifty quid last year.

View attachment 548945

Mine is a very similar Citizen eco solar, but a metal strap. Despite the metal strap, it's been fine using on the bike last couple of years. I tend to go with plastic straps.

been through so many watches from casio to rolex, garmins so many garmins, cheap chinese knock offs and finally settled on a fitbit versa not for the time mind you mostly to keep an eye on my sleep, hr, sp02 steps etc. lockdown has transformed my health for the better, i'm +10k steps a day vs <1k sat at a desk or in the car, sleep i have to work on and HR follows.

all that to me is way more important than the time.

Top Bottom