Watches...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Now a serious post how is a watch valued at so much money my brother seemed to have a thing for these for a while and had a collection of 4-6 watches Tag and Omega (i lost interest after that part of the conversation) that had to be kept in a safe in order to be covered under his home contents insurance the collection was insured for £70 000 :wacko: so what makes one worth the 100's of thousands that are asked for them ?

Gullibility?

Seriously though, I collect Mondaine watches, and in particular the Swiss Railway ones (clean, amazingly simple, concise and easy to read, Apple now use them for certain clocks, but I knew about them LONG before then), I even have one of the pocket watches and use it along with various other versions, including a wall clock.

Mondaine do other watches of course, some of them quirky, others as homages to different designers and places like the Bauhaus, etc, and others just as normal watches, but I have always wanted one they made a few years back that only had one hand!

That said, they are nowhere in the league valuewise of the watches your Brother has. My very first one cost the Swiss equivalent of £80 a few years ago in Zurich (where they are made), and even the most expensive ones now are only in the hundreds (I have the cheaper models, of course).

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
A company, across the road from us, made watches for LEGO, which involved over-printing rather sophisticated watch face images onto matt white plastic. They sold for incredible amounts at the Metro Centre and other shopping mall 'barrows'. [for Classic's benefit]

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
... I collect Mondaine watches, and in particular the Swiss Railway ones (clean, amazingly simple, concise and easy to read, Apple now use them for their clocks on things like the iPad, but I knew about them LONG before then), I even have one of the pocket ...

My wife's watch of choice, she has had one for years, long before I met her.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A company, across the road from us, made watches for LEGO, which involved over-printing rather sophisticated watch face images onto matt white plastic. They sold for incredible amounts at the Metro Centre and other shopping mall 'barrows'. [for Classic's benefit]

Yep, had one of those too.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Soooo, if you won the gazillions on the lottery, would you have one of those featured in the video?

MarkF

Guru
I've never collected them, mainly because I'm not rich enough. But I do wear a nice watch.

I've collected and sold watches for 15 years, I am sure it has not cost me 1p. On the contrary, of the 14 watches I own, I'd say 10 have been funded entirely by the coming and going. I've recently sold a lot of vintage Russian and Spanish stuff, I had 80+ watches and things were a little out of control.

I have lovely wooden display box that holds my best 10, all automatic. The other 4 are:-
My late father's Voken automatic, re-chromed and serviced.
Seiko Sportura Chrono - Daily wearer.
Orsa military on a hemp Chisco strap, you can't lose it, it's very comfortable and light, I use this on my bikes.
G-Shock - Solar powered, atomic clock, I use this at football training/matches, as an alarm clock, swimming on hols, a light and to set the other watches by.

This is my favourite, the only one in existence. An unused genuine Ollech & Wajs 1960's divers case fitted with a new ETA-2824 movement, I chose the handset myself.

rltspecial.jpg

:smile:

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I've collected and sold watches for 15 years, I am sure it has not cost me 1p. On the contrary, of the 14 watches I own, I'd say 10 have been funded entirely by the coming and going. I've recently sold a lot of vintage Russian and Spanish stuff, I had 80+ watches and things were a little out of control.

I have lovely wooden display box that holds my best 10, all automatic. The other 4 are:-
My late father's Voken automatic, re-chromed and serviced.
Seiko Sportura Chrono - Daily wearer.
Orsa military on a hemp Chisco strap, you can't lose it, it's very comfortable and light, I use this on my bikes.
G-Shock - Solar powered, atomic clock, I use this at football training/matches, as an alarm clock, swimming on hols, a light and to set the other watches by.

This is my favourite, the only one in existence. An unused genuine Ollech & Wajs 1960's divers case fitted with a new ETA-2824 movement, I chose the handset myself.

rltspecial.jpg

:smile:

Nice, are you prepared to say what the other are?

Where do get a watch re-chromed? The one my mother bought me, the case is slighty pitted and some chrome has come off.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
The only watch i ever wanted

MarkF

Guru
Nice, are you prepared to say what the other are?

Where do get a watch re-chromed? The one my mother bought me, the case is slighty pitted and some chrome has come off.

Can't help, I got quoted silly prices in the UK, considering the watch's low value (but high sentimental value to me) a pal got mine re-chromed in Lodz, Poland.

Seriously though, I collect Mondaine watches, and in particular the Swiss Railway ones (clean, amazingly simple, concise and easy to read, Apple now use them for their clocks on things like the iPad, but I knew about them LONG before then), I even have one of the pocket watches and use it along with various other versions, including a wall clock.

Yes, I like Mondaine watches, instantly recognisebale. :smile:

Top Bottom