Watches...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I know another chap who has a few real, very expensive Rolex watches, including a rare stainless steel Daytona. He never wears them in public, he only ever has fake ones on his wrist. Car Dealer, 'nuff said.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
I bought a much vaunted Rolex Oyster Perpetual when I was in Germany many years ago and it was,in my view,a poor timekeeper. It would gain around two minutes a day and to have it cleaned and regulated meant sending it away for a few weeks as local jewellers wouldn't touch it. My backup watch,a bulletproof Timex with a simple pin pallet movement, kept better time.

My misses' brother-in-law is a watch snob and likes to own (and wear) expensive ones (no, not at the same time :smile:).

He's mightily impressed by my Tag Heuer, but little does he know it cost me $20 from a market in Phnom Penh. It looks the business and keeps perfect time.

Otherwise I buy cheap watches that are reliable, as I only use a watch at work (so I don't miss my tea break/lunch/clocking-off time) or when I'm travelling.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
As long as it works and you like it, you don't need anything fancy or expensive!

MarkF

Guru
I had a quartz Colt and that's one watch I miss, in general tho' their USP is their aviation heritage, tbh they hurt my eyes.

578639d1323918233-most-beautiful-minimalist-japanese-watches-gs-one-them-breitling_montbrillant_datora.jpg

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I agree, no need, but there is always a "want", just like with bikes! ^_^

Touche. Like I said, I don't like chunky watches so things like Breitlings' and Rolexes' are immediately out of the equation unless they were to make a more refined timepiece (EDIT - I have just seen the 'busy comment above').
Of course, there are many refined watches that are expensive, but at least they tend not to be so conspicuous I suppose.

Top Bottom