Watches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wondering what timepiece, if any, riders wear and if you wear something different when riding.
My usual watch is an ancient Seiko diver, as it's basically nuclear-war-proof, but this is heavy enough to do damage to my wrist on a bumpy ride. Asus Zenwatch can't take the punishment but is lighter. So I normally wear a Swatch skiing watch, which doesn't chafe.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I don't wear a watch when cycling, the time is displayed on my Garmin.

vickster

Legendary Member
Fitbit tells the time these days, unless wearing a formal watch for work etc. Garmin also on bike

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The computer has the time on it so i usually rely on that and / or my phone. Occasionally I might put a plastic watch (G shock) on, if I remember. It's less to do with timekeeping and more to do with the fact that I frequently keep looking at a pale, hairy circle on my wrist while riding, and that can make you look eccentric at best.

GuyBoden

Guru
£5, Decathlon basic digital sports watch, waterproof, plastic, very light and has a stop watch (if needed).

I've had my watch for 3 years without any problems, that's riding every week, winter/summer, also I ride in the rain. (Swimmers are using these watches.)

This is all you really need: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/w100-m-timer-watch-black-id_8332129.html

big_24f5af9a6b6547bb84e642299919fca5.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
£5, Decathlon basic digital sports watch, waterproof, plastic, very light and has a stop watch (if needed).

I've had my watch for 3 years without any problems, that's riding every week, winter/summer, also I ride in the rain. (Swimmers are using these watches.)

This is all you really need: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/w100-m-timer-watch-black-id_8332129.html

View attachment 371698
BRILLIANT! Have been watchless for a month or so and that appears to fit the bill perfectly. My old work horse has given many years of reliable service despite the worst kind of abuse doing activities, camping, muddy off-road bike and car action, vehicle repairs (multiple scratches and even weld splatter on the screen) but has finally started to let moisture in despite a few attempts to reseal it.
upload_2017-9-4_9-9-40.png

The Lorus watch is still available but they have hiked the price up from the £14 I remember paying for it and I reckon the Decathlon one is more stylish due to its simplicity.

screenman

Legendary Member
Garmin swim, well you never know when it is going to rain. Garmin on the bike as wel.

Noru

The classic super cheap & cheerful Casio F-91W watch for riding. I keep my nice watches for other less sweaty uses.

The casio tells the time, is rain proof and doesn't shout I'm worth mugging as I regularly ride alone on trails, tow paths & quiet lanes.

Keep my Garmin GPS on but its kept in my pannier unless I'm on an Audax where I have it out for distance measurements, but then there are more people around.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The classic super cheap & cheerful Casio F-91W watch for riding.

Tells the time and doesn't shout I'm worth mugging as I regularly ride alone on trails, tow paths & quiet lanes.
I bought the classic black/blue version of this but it is ridiculously small so I gave it to my youngest son because it did look like a kids watch on me (Maybe, like Wagon Wheels, they have reduced its size over the years?).
The Classic Casio basic digital watch may not say 'mug me' but it might say something else...... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_F-91W

My everyday watch is a slim Certina DS that is quite tough and waterproof and not at all heavy. When I'm off camping or touring I swap it for an old digital waterproof Casio (non G-shock) so I have an illuminated display. Slim, light, smaller diameter, tough watches seem to be out of fashion.

Top Bottom