Watches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
No, it hasn't. My Seiko 5 stopped keeping proper time after a few years and the jeweller couldn't make it work properly again, which is why I've switched to a Pulsar solar watch (Pulsar is yet another division of Seiko...).

Did you ever have it serviced? It's an engine using oils. The 7s26 Seiko movement must be the most reliable one ever, every few years send it away to be serviced at maybe £25? Good luck with having the solar repaired cheaply, I have 2, but it's energy is stored somewhere......& that somewhere will fail.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Did you ever have it serviced? It's an engine using oils. The 7s26 Seiko movement must be the most reliable one ever, every few years send it away to be serviced at maybe £25? Good luck with having the solar repaired cheaply, I have 2, but it's energy is stored somewhere......& that somewhere will fail.
At least I stand more chance of repairing electrics :smile:

I didn't have it serviced until it started showing problems - I thought it would run like clockwork ;) I'm fairly sure the manual supplied didn't suggest servicing but I'll check next time I look at it.

To be honest, if it needs routine servicing at £25 every few years, I feel I might as well have had a watch that needs routine battery changes instead.

MarkF

Guru
At least I stand more chance of repairing electrics :smile:

I didn't have it serviced until it started showing problems - I thought it would run like clockwork ;) I'm fairly sure the manual supplied didn't suggest servicing but I'll check next time I look at it.

To be honest, if it needs routine servicing at £25 every few years, I feel I might as well have had a watch that needs routine battery changes instead.

It didn't run correctly by magic. It has oils, different ones, and they have to be replenished/replaced now and again, with a clean too, like with any engine. I have my automatics serviced every 10 years, so £2.50 per annum, I find good batteries last about 2 years, so any saving is inconsequential. But I like to have that engine, and the lovely smooth sweep of the second hand instead of the click click of a battery operated watch.

£52 can buy you something with this? Incredible.

underrotor6435.jpg

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
On your phone, if riding I also have my GPS in view with the time on. But during all of those activities it is not critical you know the exact time.

I don't take my phone with me on a ride or to the beach, I might on a hike. Heard similar 40 years ago with the advent of digital watches, still, the Swiss automatic watch industry sells more than ever.

rockpig

Über Member
Omega Seamaster when not on bike, time field on Garmin when on bike. Don't really know why I don't wear a watch on the bike, I just don't.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
£5, Decathlon basic digital sports watch, waterproof, plastic, very light and has a stop watch (if needed).

I've had my watch for 3 years without any problems, that's riding every week, winter/summer, also I ride in the rain. (Swimmers are using these watches.)

This is all you really need: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/w100-m-timer-watch-black-id_8332129.html

View attachment 371698
Picked up my cheap Decathlon watch today. So far so good......

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have my automatics serviced every 10 years, so £2.50 per annum,
That seems like backpedalling from the original "every few years"
every few years send it away to be serviced at maybe £25?
in order to make the numbers work out better.

But I like to have that engine, and the lovely smooth sweep of the second hand instead of the click click of a battery operated watch.
Hang on. Mine's not a smooth sweep - it's like four or five steps per second, but it is still stepping visibly. Do different versions of the 7S26 movement behave differently? Mine seems to be stamped 7S26-3130.

Sweeping or stepping doesn't much bother me, as long as I can see the time quickly. If anything, the Pulsar's red-tipped second hand is easier to use.

£52 can buy you something with this? Incredible.

underrotor6435-jpg.jpg
I'll give you a :thumbsup: but really I want something I can look at and tell the time, more than hang in an art gallery.

I agree about the servicing, mine's been done once since 1988 (6309-7290, for reference), it's needing another now...
I also have a 1969 manual wind Seiko (6602-7040) that has also been serviced just once, since 1969, and still works beautifully. But wouldn't if I wore it on the bike...

MarkF

Guru
That seems like backpedalling from the original "every few years"

in order to make the numbers work out better.

Not at all, I have mine serviced at 10 years, some do it at 5 years, some have a 20 year old non-serviced auto that keeps perfect time. I can't give you an exact service time schedule. Automatics are engines.with oils, they need servicing, at some point, as the oils degrade.

Hang on. Mine's not a smooth sweep - it's like four or five steps per second, but it is still stepping visibly. Do different versions of the 7S26 movement behave differently? Mine seems to be stamped 7S26-3130.

Sweeping or stepping doesn't much bother me, as long as I can see the time quickly. If anything, the Pulsar's red-tipped second hand is easier to use.

Something is wrong with it, probably needs a service........................the escapement on a 7s26 means the second hand should move like a clean sweep, the "step" being practically imperceptible to the eye.

I'll give you a :thumbsup: but really I want something I can look at and tell the time, more than hang in an art gallery.

Others do, not me, but many buy the Seiko's with a clear case back so that they can see the movement operating.

Last edited:
Top Bottom