Watches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Rolex GMT II, approx. 25 years old, had it from new. Worth nearly 3 times what I paid for it.

And people say they are "expensive"?

snorri

Legendary Member
I used to have a Casio G-shock watch to wear on the bike and doing other general outdoorsy stuff, but it suffered from the usual Casio problem where the strap gave up the ghost about 3 months after the warranty expired.
So I bought at Timex Marathon which cost about £19 and did sterling service for a couple of years before that broke the strap hi
Hi
Buying another watch when the strap breaks, now that's real posh.

Nibor

Bewildered
Fitbit surge wear it all the time really

MarkF

Guru
Good thing about Nato straps or hemp/velcro ones, is that if you lose one spring bar, the watch stays on your wrist, more than once I've had my watch dangling but not lost, whilst on tour.

There seems to be price war on Amazon for automatic Seiko 5's, all the watch you'll ever need, and it'll last a lifetime, £52 is stupidly cheap for such a thing. If I had to sell all my watches, some worth £££'s and had £52 left in the bank, I'd happily own and wear one of these.

51D3PnmZmIL.jpg

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I bought some Casio a few years ago, paid $17 US for it when I bought it, most accurate timepiece I've ever had, check it against my smartphone for accuracy, as a cell tower puts out accurate time received by the phone. If my smart phone can give me directions based upon where I am in a given block, then the navigation, and hence the time itself, must be quite accurate.

Widge

Baldy Go
Sometimes it's dangerous reading these sort of threads!
I've always worn minimalist dirt-cheap (think 'n0-more-than-a fiver') watches and had many years of reasonable time-keeping.....a new one costs less than the battery.

I DO have my lovely bespoke many jeweled gold watch inherited from my equally lovely bespoke father-in-law but I save it for special days-not so much grinding the mile on mi bike......

On the strength of this thread I have just splashed out (!) nearly 33 quid on this-http://www.loruswatches.co.uk/index.php/products/rxf41ax7

...and it is most splendid. Robust (for the cyclinge) small enough for my skinny wrists and nicely made. (Lorus are the 'budget' division of Seiko) but OOOO the 'lumibrite' dial is something else.

I no longer need lights on my bike!

w

Last edited:
Top Bottom