Watches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The classic super cheap & cheerful Casio F-91W watch for riding. I keep my nice watches for other less sweaty uses.

The casio tells the time, is rain proof and doesn't shout I'm worth mugging as I regularly ride alone on trails, tow paths & quiet lanes. .

I can tell you that it survive 40 degree wash cycle as well. So far it has survived at least 5 such wash cycles during last 2 years.

It does not bleep at airport security.

If I were ever subjected to mugging, I am more than happy to just hand over.

The best and only watch I have.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
DSC_0588.JPG
I always wear a Lorus titanium 'military' style analogue watch with webbing strap. Lorus watches are dirt cheap, accurate and last forever.

I recently invested in watchmaker's tools so now I can even change batteries for cheap! ;)

Last edited:
Not just for cycling but all the time a Samsung Gear Fit 2, or I did until yesterday when the battery confirmed it wasn't enjoying it's existence.

Warranty claim here we come.......

That said I always have my Garmin on the bikes anyways.

Last edited:

albion

Guru
Not just for cycling but all the time a Samsung Gear Fit 2, or I did until yesterday when the battery confirmed it wasn't enjoying it's existence..

Keep the battery between 30 and 80%, then they last. Thats also why smartphones with, unfit for purpose, one day batteries fail fast.

My own GPS watch does 30 hours, that being fine for the above.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Im part of the group with the garmins/cycle computers and mobile phones for time keeping. I've worn watches with rubber straps in the past and my sweat eats through them like no tomorrow. I don't fancy leather or nylon straps either so no watch for me while on the bike.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I just wear my regular Pulsar solar watch. Only once has it become a problem from how it was tapping on my hand due to the bike I was riding and then I just tucked it in a pocket until the end of the ride.

Otherwise, some of those fitbit clones are under a tenner now and should be able to cope well with some banging around, plus they USB recharge rather than needing battery replacement in a shop. Even the heartrate ones like Xiaomi Mi 2 are under £30 now.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I used to have a Casio G-shock watch to wear on the bike and doing other general outdoorsy stuff, but it suffered from the usual Casio problem where the strap gave up the ghost about 3 months after the warranty expired.
So I bought at Timex Marathon which cost about £19 and did sterling service for a couple of years before that broke the strap.

I've just bought one of these from Amazon - cheap as chips, apparently waterproof to 50m, the "Japan original digital movement" has a huge display so I can see the numbers at the merest glance, the backlight is bright enough to seen from space (probably...), delivered free next day with Prime and best of all the green detailing matches the bike :becool:

001.JPG

MarkF

Guru
I've collected watches for 20 years and always ride wearing one as I don't have a cycle computer or garmin and............I just like watches. I can't wear my favourites as the cases are too deep, they dig into my wrist, I've tried reverse crowns too, but the cases are still too deep. Same problem with my Casio G-Shocks. Sweating rules out bracelets and rubber straps and I want a clear legible face that enables to me to see the time at a glance, even at dusk.

I use an 38mm Orsa cream dial military watch with a green hemp (washable) velcro strap. OK, it's quartz (:sad:) but it's light, comfy and I don't feel embarrassed about wearing it in the pub after riding.

DSC_4782.jpg

MarkF

Guru
View attachment 371730 I always wear a Lorus titanium 'military' style analogue watch with webbing strap. Lorus watches are dirt cheap, accurate and last forever.

I recently invested in watchmaker's tools so now I can even change batteries for cheap! ;)

Those are good cycling watches, if the crown was opposite it'd be perfect! I would recommend a hemp velcro strap, micro adjustable for comfort (not restricted by pin holes), washable and quick drying.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My favourite watch has died following its second crash.:sad: I don't want to do the same to the replacement so am having to rely on my phone or the cycle computer for timekeeping at the moment.

I don't like it. Perhaps an inexpensive ride watch is called for.

Top Bottom