Watching Tour de France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
+1
Couple of guys in our club are built for climbing /spinning and berate me for standing on a bigger gear on hills , but compare body types im more a power rider
Clipboard01.jpg
( im at the front )

CXRAndy

Guru
Its all about reducing fatigue, using a high cadence will reduce leg muscle fatigue. Im actually a tad slower spinning, but find my legs are much fresher on day two, three etc. Ive been in a group spinning away, when I decide to drop a gear, may cadence obviously drops, but my speed rises a little. I find it a useful facet to be able to spin or grind depending how legs feel

CXRAndy

Guru
+1
Couple of guys in our club are built for climbing /spinning and berate me for standing on a bigger gear on hills , but compare body types im more a power rider View attachment 474716 ( im at the front )

I met a chap who was a grinder, I asked him why he used such a low cadence. He said it was through necessity to be able to keep up with his club mates, which he couldn't do with high cadence. I couldn't argue with his method, he was mighty strong. I checked his rides. He has qualified twice for the UCI Grand Fondos world finals, this year coming top 10 in his age group. He is in his fifties.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Any attempt at scientific justification is fluff. You have to do the same amount of work whatever you choose*. Choose what works for you. Be happy that you've found something that works.

Steve Abraham churns a pretty big gear by the way. And he's had more than enough time to figure out his most efficient cadence.

*Within reason, obviously turning a 53/11 up a hill or spinning a granny gear on the flat would be stupid.

Milzy

Guru
I’m proud to say I’ve never got off to walk up some of the steepest climbs. Even when I first started. It’s the way I want it to stay until I’m at least 80.

Milzy

Guru
+1
Couple of guys in our club are built for climbing /spinning and berate me for standing on a bigger gear on hills , but compare body types im more a power rider View attachment 474716 ( im at the front )
No just no. You think you’re a power rider but if you trained to use a lower gear at a higher cadence it would benefit a muscle bound sprinter as it would a pure mountain goat climber. This old school cycling mentality needs to be phased out. We’re in modern times with proven science to back up the new age ways.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
No just no. You think you’re a power rider but if you trained to use a lower gear at a higher cadence it would benefit a muscle bound sprinter as it would a pure mountain goat climber. This old school cycling mentality needs to be phased out. We’re in modern times with proven science to back up the new age ways.
im talking average cadence mid 80s on the flat

Top Bottom