water bottle that doesn't taste awful

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kiriyama

I need some new bottles, but every bottle iv previously bought, regardless of price has always given the water that awful plastic taste after half an hour or so. When your on a long ride the last thing you need is a mouth full of foul water. Can anyone recommend a bottle that keeps the water fresh tasting? I don't mind paying more for something decent.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Halfords 99p smoked one's. Had mine for 2 years and they're fine

That awful taste you describe comes from the plastic bottle and I hate it as well which can be worse in warm weather. Get any bottle which is labelled as BPA free and your problem will go away. I always use the Elite range now. There is never any bad taste with them. Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Drop a water purifying tablet in the bottle to neutralise it . That's a tip I was told but never tried it . I seem to recall an issue with taste from bottles a while ago but I guess you just get used to it . Or use them enough that the taste goes ?
I use SIS .

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I'm with ColinJ on the fruity side of life. I go with cranberry & raspberry ocean spray (high in carbs) at the moment, with a dab of salt for good measure. Tasted good, provides energy and replaces salts. All plastic bottles taste like pap if you just drink water xx(

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm with ColinJ on the fruity side of life. I go with cranberry & raspberry ocean spray (high in carbs) at the moment, with a dab of salt for good measure. Tasted good, provides energy and replaces salts. All plastic bottles taste like pap if you just drink water xx(
Oh yes, I put some Lo-salt in as well in hot weather, and on long rides a couple of heaped scoops of maltodextrin powder for extra energy.

zacklaws

Guru
Asda's Strawberry juice for flavouring, nothing beats that.

As for taking taint out of plastic bottles, every now and then I sterilise my bottles with baby bottle sterilising tablets from Wilco's and leaves the bottle smelling very fresh, not that its ever bothered me, its for only when the insides get grimy with fungal infections when I've not washed them out properly.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
i just used mineral water bottles. These are 99p including a litre of mineral water of your choice. It does seem daft that by paying a fiver for a bottle it tastes the water, wheras a bottle that's merely packaging for contents does not

OP
OP
kiriyama

kiriyama

Yes I'm currently re using powerade bottles for this exact reason. But they only come in 500 ml. Bigger mineral water bottles are Ok but the ones with sports lids tend to be a bit fragile and get scrunched up then they fall out of the bottle cage!

Top Bottom