Water consumption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm 6ft(ish) tall and currently weigh 14st (down from 15.5st this time last year) and am 36yrs old.

Since I've started to actively loose weight I've been using water as an appetite supressant, I didn't really plan to, I just realised I drink a least three litres of water during my working day.

I was tested for diabetes a few years back and am all clear, so it would appear I just really like drinking water.

BUT drinking a lot of water does tend to lead to lots of hedge stops, and I know mass consumption can cause problems...

Diet is currently roughly as follows:
Breakfast - two boiled eggs in hot sauce
Lunch - rice cakes or oat cakes with razor thin ham (no spread or sauce)
Afternoon energy boost - handful of dried fruit
Supper - whatever healthy meal my wife or I make.

If I feel like I'm going hungry I don't have the energy to cycle, but I'm very mindful of taking in too many calories as I'm very keen to get rid of this old man's beer belly!

Any thoughts?

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you have 2 eggs for breakfast every day? That sounds like a lot of cholesterol to me. I'd be swapping the eggs for porridge 4-5 days a week

Otherwise, not a great deal of calories if you are exercising too, not surprised you are a bit short of energy. I'd say you need more veg (and some fruit in the diet)?

Have you actually added up how many calories you have a day - 1800-2000 a day you should still lose weight no? But 1.5 stone in a year on that diet doesn't sound a lot. To lose the belly, maybe you need to do some core work in the gym or at home?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
To maintain your current weight (based on moderate activity 3-5days a week) You would be looking at consuming 3000cals ish a day. (based on harris benedicy forumula)

Obviously to lose you'd need to factor in calorie deficit and expenditure during exercise. I can tell you(Non professionally) that you are eating nowhere near enough, there would barely be 1200 cals per day there.

Eggs and cholesterol: unless you have high cholesterol there is no real issue these days. That myth lasted long enough..

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Green tea is a great appetite suppressant and its also suggested that it helps the body to metabolise fat. I've converted to great tea about 3 weeks ago and can vouch for the first statement, but am still working on the second.

Stay off the fats, they slow the digestion down and for me anyway, make me feel lethargic.

If your peeing a lot reduce water intake on the bike, but be careful to take in carbs in small amounts if your struggling. Gel pouches are amazing for for me, make me feel like I'm cheating! Don't worry how much you eat on big ride days, the boost in metabolism makes up for it, but be careful not to over compensate on small ride days.

Remember as you loose weight the less calories your body needs to run, and the more efficient it's likely to be on rides.

Bear belly can be caused by weak pelvic muscles causing the pelvis to rotate forward thus creating a bear gut, even when there's not much fat there. Palates can help this (I'm about to start for the same reason). Alcohol (for me) is the biggest cause of my belly/boob fat.. Also, first fat on is last fat to go.. And for most of us blokes that's belly/boob!

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe not cholesterol...must be constipated though (although the 3l of water will help there), eggs bind me up!

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
To maintain your current weight (based on moderate activity 3-5days a week) You would be looking at consuming 3000cals ish a day. (based on harris benedicy forumula)

Obviously to lose you'd need to factor in calorie deficit and expenditure during exercise. I can tell you(Non professionally) that you are eating nowhere near enough, there would barely be 1200 cals per day there.

Eggs and cholesterol: unless you have high cholesterol there is no real issue these days. That myth lasted long enough..

Thanks. I'm trying to keep calorific energy boosting as natural as possible, hence the yummy dried fruit.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Thanks. I'm trying to keep calorific energy boosting as natural as possible, hence the yummy dried fruit.
There is very little value in a handful of dried fruit.

Top Bottom