Water consumption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Andrew: When you wish to listen and be somewhat serious. I'm happy to help as much as I can.

:training:

The time for seriousness has very much come.

At the moment I'm riding three miles to work and three miles back Monday to Friday, and eight miles at lunchtime two or three times a week. I also try and do thirty(ish) miles at the weekend, childcare permitting.

I'd really appreciate the help.

Do you use Endomondo? My username is Andrew-Culture.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm not the best person to follow considering my poor will power to stick to things, but one thing that does seem to help me lose weight is to log all my meals on myfitnesspal (it's free) so I get a realistic view of how many calories I've actually consumed in a day (the exercize thingys overdo the calories IMHO).

Unfortunately I've fallen of the wagon over the last month and really need to get back to a diet again :sad:

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Thanks. I used Spark People last year and it was useful for raising my awareness.

I'm very fortunate that my wife has always abhorred processed food in all its forms, so quitting what might traditionally be seen as junk food isn't a problem as I don't enjoy eating it anyway.

That's not to say our allotment 'good life' style living is a pathway to weightloss though! I've fairly conclusively proven that with my paunch!

Philtofit

Andrew, looking at your endomondo workout's, you may not be using auto pause; which is having an adverse effect on your average speed on some of your workouts. If this is the case, it can be done via settings / workout settings. Whilst I'm interfering, what type of bike are you riding. I'm looking at doing the Alton Water loop as part of a long ride, can it be done on a road bike.

Phil.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Phil - I switched off auto-pause last week for reasons I can't now remember, so I have switched it back on.

I ride an ancient Claude Butler tourer most of the time, but sometimes an mtb. I went round Alton Water with slicks on the mtb and it was terrible, I don't think you'd have much fun on the gravel, rough dirt and mud on a road bike :smile:

What is your username on Endomondo?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The time for seriousness has very much come.

At the moment I'm riding three miles to work and three miles back Monday to Friday, and eight miles at lunchtime two or three times a week. I also try and do thirty(ish) miles at the weekend, childcare permitting.

I'd really appreciate the help.

Do you use Endomondo? My username is Andrew-Culture.
I do but barely use it. Torn between EM,Strava and MapMyRide :sad:
----------------------------------------------
(The info below does not count for muscle mass which can change BMR significantly,tis a guide only)
I took
This said:
I'm 6ft(ish) tall and currently weigh 14st (down from 15.5st this time last year) and am 36yrs old.
And put it into This

The resulting BMR (Basal metabolic rate if you stayed in bed all day) is 1956.68 (calories)

To calculate your daily calorie needs you need to multiply your BMR: 1956 x the level of activity

1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
  2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
  3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
  4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
  5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
The eventual figure is what you would consume per day to maintain the same weight. If you are #3 moderately active then 1956x1.55 = 3031cals.

------------------------------------------------
Since your aim is to lose weight you need to take a small deficit off this figure. Most people would start at -500 until plateau hits (stop losing weight) 500per day deficit over a week is roughly 1lb loss on it's own before you factor in cycling or whatever activity you do.

I worked out the caloric value of your daily eating roughly. 600 cals per day (before evening meal) Add in a couple beers which have no nutritional value (empty calories really) you would still be barely scraping 1800. It's little wonder you are struggling.

This may not make sense but believe it or not you actually need to eat to lose weight. The body simply won't allow any visceral(which packs in around your organs) or subcutaneous fat(the horrible stuff below the surface of our skin) to be burned off whilst you are essentially starving yourself,it's a basic yet somewhat complicated survival mechanism. You've heard of the terms "hitting the wall" or "bonk"? Both of these are related in a way,when you become glycogen depleted and feel faint,nauseous and struggle to maintain pace,you are only relying on fat at this point,it's the same survival mechanism that prevents weight loss when under-eating.
---------------------------------------------------------
I've missed bits probably :training:

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I was bonking really badly when I started up this year's cycling but put it down to being woefully unfit, I think I know better now. Today I had a handful of dried fruit to pep me up half an hour before riding home but it just gave me a stitch!

I'm going to use this thread to keep track of my diet for a few days as perception of calorific intake is often way off reality!

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
DIET
7am 4x small boiled eggs with splash of hot sauce - 300kcal

8am 9am 750ml fresh black coffee with no sugar

10am natural liquorice bar - 120kcal

11.30am Crave box poppadoms - 130kcal

2pm 6x small oatcakes with 3 slices of wafer thin ham - 410kcal

3pm small handful of dried fruit

4.30pm Crave box brazil nuts & dark chocolate drops - 150kcal

6.30pm homemade chicken broth

9.30pm frozen yoghurt - 134kcal

TOTAL - 2000ish?

I do feel a little better for having a higher intake!

Top Bottom