Water consumption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I didn't miss that at all. My comment trying to state that eating less was NOT the answer and that I ate pretty much what I liked and exercised more to balance it. A lot of people think losing weight or fat is all about reducing food whereas you can lose weight by eating more of the right foods and exercising more.
You're right it isn't all about eating less but in many cases it is,combined with getting off your ass. In this instance it's about eating more to lose weight and improve energy levels to fuel the exercise. If you aren't eating enough or are eating too much,exercise is pretty pointless.

Food is fuel. It makes total sense that someone who eats well and exercises well would be stronger than someone who didn't eat and didn't exercise.
What reference are you making? Stronger - strength or Stronger - better?

99.9% of us could all do things better by exercising more or eating better but when the goal is only to lose a few pounds, not win the tour de france then why completely avoid the things that make us happy? I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm not going to have the physical build and definition of Fabian Cancellara... I've sacrificed that because I enjoy chocolate, pizza and beer... But I'm still bloody fit and healthy. It's not about one or the other. Compromise is an option.
There is a distinct relationship between things that make us happy and things that make us unhappy. The trick is in moderation which for most removes temptation to binge. Alcohol,chocolate,cakes whatever your vice is - moderate it (read: deserve it!) and work from there.

lejogger

Guru
You're right it isn't all about eating less but in many cases it is,combined with getting off your ass. In this instance it's about eating more to lose weight and improve energy levels to fuel the exercise. If you aren't eating enough or are eating too much,exercise is pretty pointless.
I completely agree with you.

What reference are you making? Stronger - strength or Stronger - better?
Both. It's the same point as above. Eat more, exercise more, and get stronger through exercise in both a physical and more competence sense.

There is a distinct relationship between things that make us happy and things that make us unhappy. The trick is in moderation which for most removes temptation to binge. Alcohol,chocolate,cakes whatever your vice is - moderate it (read: deserve it!) and work from there.
Agree again. It just seemed like some people were insinuating that the whole reason Andrew wasn't making the progress he wanted to was down to a couple of pints of homebrew.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm 32 next month and I'm fitter than I've ever been. I don't intend to stop improving.
One of my club mates was 46 last year when he smashed his own 24 hour time trial record with 541 miles that he'd previously set about 13 years earlier!

I'm fitter and stronger than ever but no more lithe, but in reality being fit and healthy feels more important than a flat belly.

That being said I'm not going to stop trying for a flat belly :smile:

You have all been very inspiring!

lejogger

Guru
Here's a quick update; I'm getting closer to my calorie target and feel stronger (although that could be getting used to daily cycling), but I've gained ten pounds. I'm not overly bothered though :smile:
I would try not to be too weight focused. Feeling stronger, fitter and healthier should be your main target, and increasing your capacity to exercise more will yield either weight loss or a change of body shape in the longer term ,with muscle replacing fat in the right areas.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Here's a quick update; I'm getting closer to my calorie target and feel stronger (although that could be getting used to daily cycling), but I've gained ten pounds. I'm not overly bothered though :smile:
:eek: How did you manage that? You recently posted your clothes were loose fitting, now you have gained the weight again? I thought I was the only one capable to put on a stone in a week :laugh:

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I should have clarified - 3000 was to maintain my weight, I've been aiming to consume 2500

lulubel

Über Member
You're doing something terribly wrong to gain 10lbs on 2500

Not if he's been undereating for a long time. If the body's been dealing with an apparent famine for a while, it will use most of the calorie increase to lay down more fat stores, and only allow a little to go towards increased energy. You should expect an initial gain in this situation. Once the body settles at its new maintenance level (and realises the famine is definitely over), you'll be able to start reversing the gain.

The worst thing you could possibly do now is start eating less again because the body will treat it as a return to famine conditions and start hanging on to its fat stores again.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Not if he's been undereating for a long time. If the body's been dealing with an apparent famine for a while, it will use most of the calorie increase to lay down more fat stores, and only allow a little to go towards increased energy. You should expect an initial gain in this situation. Once the body settles at its new maintenance level (and realises the famine is definitely over), you'll be able to start reversing the gain.

The worst thing you could possibly do now is start eating less again because the body will treat it as a return to famine conditions and start hanging on to its fat stores again.
I'd been meaning to come back to the thread after thinking about it(and posting pretty much your post elsewhere). :laugh:

But yeah, when you consume so little then start eating somewhat normally again,the natural response is weight gain as your body is expecting to starve again soon. It's a handy survival tool but the majority of dieters get it all wrong then wonder why they end up bigger than before. I've made no secret of the fact I did it then realised the mistake - put more on only to lose it again sustainably.

I take it back,you haven't done anything wrong Andrew - but you need to keep up what you're doing and ride out the storm.

Top Bottom