Water consumption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
1000 kCal/hour would mean riding at about 270W. Most people couldn't ride at 270W for 4.5 hours.
Without having a power sensor attached to the garmin it's difficult to tell. It's so inaccurate using just the device alone. For example for my commute today my garmin said I'd burned 543Cal while the same ride at the same speed last week on the same device stated 315. That's 30 minutes of cycling on my heavy CX bike at an average of 17mph.
I do the same route on my carbon bike last week as well and that only took 26 and a half minutes averaging 20mph and that apparently used 364 calories.
I don't understand how a garmin can work any of this out without a HR, cadence or power sensor attached.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I just weighed myself and am shocked to find that I'm 82kg! Which if I've done my sums correctly is 12st 9lb!

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Great job! Are you feeling fitter and slimmer as well?

I feel awesome, apart from this nagging passion to buy a better bike :smile: I've done about 12,000 miles so far this year, and almost all of those are on a mid-70s touring bike! It's a lovely bike but I've fooled myself into thinking I need something with thinner tyres and more aggressive geometry to progress!

lejogger

Guru
I feel awesome, apart from this nagging passion to buy a better bike :smile: I've done about 12,000 miles so far this year, and almost all of those are on a mid-70s touring bike! It's a lovely bike but I've fooled myself into thinking I need something with thinner tyres and more aggressive geometry to progress!

Light, flashy, expensive bikes make you lazy and unfit!

You should still most definitely get one though, but never as a replacement for what you already have.

The tourer/winter/commuter is the bread and butter. It's what you struggle through the winter and the bad weather on. It builds your fitness better than you can imagine, until summer comes around, you get blessed with sunshine on a weekend and you take to the roads on your carbon and it feels like you're riding on air!

You can't possibly begin to appreciate everything that's so great about a best bike unless you spend most of your time riding a much worse one :smile:

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Holy crap, I meant to say 1200 miles, not 12,000!

Sadly the tourer has to go so I can pay my local Bike Doctor to finish my single speed build. Having just one gear for a while will certainly make me appreciate my Giant defy 2 when I eventually get it!

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I thought I'd chuck in an update. My weight is 86kg / 13.5st now, which I think is about right for someone my size and age. I've still got a bit of a belly but my overall body shape has totally changed in the eight months since I made the first post on this thread. I've lost all my 'side flab', meaning I'm not as wide as I once was. I've lost most of my bulky upper body muscle and I can almost see my cheekbones again.

I don't drink water as an appetite suppressant these days, I drink it when I'm thirsty. I'd still like to see the belly go, but I'm much more interested in increasing my average speed over long rides than loosing weight these days.

I did a sixty mile ride at the weekend and it didn't even register on my legs the next day, and THAT my friends is something I am very pleased with indeed.

My diet hasn't changed much, but sometimes I eat more than others, I guess I'm getting better at knowing what I need.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod

The old tourer is long gone, and I managed just under 3000 miles by the time 2012 ended.

Top Bottom