Water Dowsing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
No personal direct experience of dowsers but there is something in the back of my mind about James Randi being sceptical about their "powers".

SteveF

Just tried it. Led me directly to the cupboard where I keep the beer.
You need stronger beer

Tim Hall

I tried it once, looking for a buried cable rather than water and using two L shaped bits of welding rod which crossed when I walked over where the cable was. Trouble is, I'd been told where the cable was buried, so it wasn't a useful test.

I ran it as an event for my Scouts once. "How does it work?" asked one lad. "I don't know. You just have to have faith." Said lad was a vicar's son, so faith should have been an easy thing for him.

Edit: Of course it's nonsense.

No personal direct experience of dowsers but there is something in the back of my mind about James Randi being sceptical about their "powers".
That's whom I was thinking of with my "double blind test"

Randi offered $1 million to anyone who could prove they had paranormal ability. The way it worked it is they would come to him, and agree a test and then they'd do the test. As I recall, the dowsing test involved 3 buried pipes, with water running through one at any time. They agreed a criterium - how many attempts and how many of them had to be successful to prove dowsing. No one took the money.

It was a feature of Randi's tests that the applicants would protest the conditions were unfair after the test, even though they freely agreed to them before hand.

I notice that dowsing is more popular in countries with high rainfall, like the UK, where you are more likely to find water wherever you dig.

Anyone play with ouija boards as kids?

Top Bottom