Water Dowsing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As an animal we have a very large brain which we don't seem to use much of, perhaps it is in one of those areas that some people are more in tune with.
Sorry but tests have consistently shown that the whole brain is in use. There's no unused part of the brain to tap into.

No unused brain centre through which humans could evolve fantastical psychic abilities like sci-fi shows portray.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yes. Didn't work without me moving it. Trouble was I moved it where there wasn't water and it never seemed to move in the same place.

Perhaps I'm just not as keyed in to the subtle signs of underground water as you believers are so that when I moved them there wasn't any water supply.

I'm certainly not claiming I can find water. I am claiming my muscles tense, thus moving the rods. No idea what I am detecting or what physical mechanism is in play enavlbling me to detect whatever-it-is

It's one of those things that believers believe in no matter what. Just like homeopathy. If you believe then there is no level of contradictory evidence to dissuade you. It's worked for you so it's true. Irrespective if whether there's identified reasons why it appears to work for ppl.

Still it's harmless for individuals to do it. I just object when it's got a cost (however small) to be through utility bills. I would rather the water utilities kept better plans of where their pipes were in the first place. Or just stick to proven methods.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It's one of those things that believers believe in no matter what. Just like homeopathy. If you believe then there is no level of contradictory evidence to dissuade you. It's worked for you so it's true. Irrespective if whether there's identified reasons why it appears to work for ppl.

Still it's harmless for individuals to do it. I just object when it's got a cost (however small) to be through utility bills. I would rather the water utilities kept better plans of where their pipes were in the first place. Or just stick to proven methods.

so why are my muscles tensing ?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I tend to favour the notion that you are subconciously noticing little things and your brain processes this into the reaction.

Do you mean visual cues?

If so, might it be worthwhile repeating the experiment with a blindfolded candidate starting at different points, taking different routes across the area in question and mapping the results?

Edit: TMN to winjim

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Have you tried it blindfold or under any other type of sensory deprivation? That might be interesting.

We did try that in a half-hearted way but can't quite remember if it got us anywhere. It's a good thought

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

I'm always an uber-sceptic of this sort of stuff. However, there does seem to be at least some anecdotal evidence that it can work so maybe it's worth thinking about a possible mechanism for how it might work?

I am struggling to imagine a mechanism whereby the water directly affects the rods. But it sounds like what is happening is some connection between the water and the muscles controlling the rods. So what could that be?

How about, we actually have some deep-seated hydrological sense in the same way some animals do with regard to underground water. That may be smell, sonar, whatever...I don't know. Those who are "sensitive" to this and actually "want" there to be a mechanism are subconsciously connecting their deep-seated hydrological sense to their muscles

I'm off into the garden with my coathangers now

Tin Pot

Guru
I'm always an uber-sceptic of this sort of stuff. However, there does seem to be at least some anecdotal evidence that it can work so maybe it's worth thinking about a possible mechanism for how it might work?

I am struggling to imagine a mechanism whereby the water directly affects the rods. But it sounds like what is happening is some connection between the water and the muscles controlling the rods. So what could that be?

How about, we actually have some deep-seated hydrological sense in the same way some animals do with regard to underground water. That may be smell, sonar, whatever...I don't know. Those who are "sensitive" to this and actually "want" there to be a mechanism are subconsciously connecting their deep-seated hydrological sense to their muscles

I'm off into the garden with my coathangers now

Anecdotal evidence == Any old bollocks

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Anecdotal evidence == Any old bollocks

So, are you claiming the reaction I get is my imagination or I have simply made up the story? What about the muscles tensing up ? Why does the same effect happen for 9 out of 10 people who try it ? Are they all deluded or dishonest ?

I'm not claiming I can specifically find water or anything else. But I am certain there's something of interest here. And I do mean certain, rather than merely a belief. I also believe, without proof or certainty, that the explanation is going to be within the realms of existing known physics

Top Bottom