Water in Frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richy99999

Hi All

I was out in the rain recently, got home with a puncture and resolved to fix it before my next ride.

2 days later i turned the bike upside down to deal with the puncture, and noticed that quite alot of water came out around the seatpost. Probably 100ml approx. Normally id have fixed the puncture straight away and not noticed the water.

So i am now concerned that my bike may be compromised and has been, for the last few years, been rusting/ corroding away from the inside, and could collapse at any time !!!

Its a 7 year old aluminium frame, Norco road bike. I googled it and understand that aluminium doesn't rust, but it does corrode.

Is this normal ? Or could the bike be rotting from inside ?

Thanks

iluvmybike

Über Member
Water inside a frame where a bike is used often in the wet is normal. Don't worry about it. I assume you have greased the seatpost regularly.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Hi, thanks for your response. Never greased the seatpost.
Well you will be lucky if it moves then :sad: Should be done regularly - especially if it's getting wet use plus it does help stop water seeping down the post - though it will get in elsewhere

Profpointy

Legendary Member
There's supposed to be a drain hole in the bottom bracket that allows condensation or actual rain to escape. Maybe it's blocked, or perhaps less likely, missing

OP
OP
R

Richy99999

Seat post greased now, took 2 of us to get it off !

No drain hole in the bb, but there is a rusted screw holding the cable bracket on where a drain hole could/should be.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
What Profpointy said, check for a drainage hole on the bottom of the frame, if not at the bottom bracket then you might find one on the chain stay. Make sure they're clear by probing with a toothpick or similar, they can get gunked up with dirt quite quickly.
Your frame should be fine, I wouldn't worry.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Clear silicone sealant round the top of the tube and over the clamping slot at the back will keep all water out.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

No drain hole in the bb, but there is a rusted screw holding the cable bracket on where a drain hole could/should be.

I'd be inclined to drill a hole.
On a previous bike I drilled and tapped a hole for the cable bracket thingy you mention as it didn't have what I needed after changing the gear mechanism.

iluvmybike

Über Member

Not all bikes have a drain hole - you could argue if there is drain hole more water will get in!!

Ajax Bay

Guru
There's supposed to be a drain hole in the bottom bracket that allows condensation or actual rain to escape. Maybe it's blocked, or perhaps less likely, missing.
I brought a bike in for sorting out at the weekend: it'd been outside (well-WD40'd) for a while.
  • Pulled out the seatpost to give it a clean and regrease: no problem.
  • Except that a serious amount of water came spewing out of the two holes: one in each chainstay - there isn't one under the BB on this MTB: all 3 cables go along the top tube.
  • With the seatpost out the (minute) partial vacuum in the (Al) frame above water level was eliminated.
  • I was too busy sequential mopping up to catch the water to give an estimate of volume but I shall guess from the initial apparent pressure, half the seat tube and half the down tube were full as well as both chainstays.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I brought a bike in for sorting out at the weekend: it'd been outside (well-WD40'd) for a while.
  • Pulled out the seatpost to give it a clean and regrease: no problem.
  • Except that a serious amount of water came spewing out of the two holes: one in each chainstay - there isn't one under the BB on this MTB: all 3 cables go along the top tube.
  • With the seatpost out the (minute) partial vacuum in the (Al) frame above water level was eliminated.
  • I was too busy sequential mopping up to catch the water to give an estimate of volume but I shall guess from the initial apparent pressure, half the seat tube and half the down tube were full as well as both chainstays.

Mmm, that can't be a good thing at all !

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Ah!
My bikes haven't needed the seat position/ height adjusting since I got them so never gave a thought to ease the seat posts... this might be interesting.

Top Bottom