Water, water, everywhere,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike1026

Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink.
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Water is a common chemical substance essential to the maintenance of all known forms of life; including lonely long distance cyclists.

At 4 centigrade a litre of water weighs 1kg or 2.205 lbs, plus the weight of the container.

As a very broad guide the human body requires at least 2 litres of water a day but there are many variables, local conditions could increase that amount, and of course that excludes water for washing, cooking etc.

Water as a human right was asserted by the United Nations in 2002 in their General Comment No.15. This clarified the obligation for governments to extend access to sufficient, affordable, accessible and safe water supplies and to safe sanitation services as their resources allow.
Source: WaterAid (Please support this worthy charity if you can).

All very interesting but I suspect you are now saying to yourself; get to the point!

The point really is about the absence of water, which like air you only really notice when you have none. Unlike air it is also very noticeable when there is too much!

So you have finished your days cycling and are looking for that well earned rest. There is no official campsite, B&B, or hotel; no matter, you have your Tent, Bag. Pocket-rocket, Pans and the tasty Sausages you could not resist when passing the local butcher shop a few miles back. Shock horror, the 2 litres water container you have carted about all day is drier than a prohibition era charity dinner. No brew and the Solar Shower that looked so good in the shop now seems to mock you; (a) There is no Solar and (:biggrin: no H2O, its enough to make your teeth itch.:angry:

Does anyone have any ideas for sources of water while out on tour?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Interesting post. No bright ideas though I'm afraid. Personally, I'd find a house, smile very nicely and beg.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
mike1026 said:

Does anyone have any ideas for sources of water while out on tour?

Crack open the beers that you are carrying, improvise a still. Get drunk rather fast with the first fraction of the distillate and cook and wash with the remainder.:wacko:

Apart from that, deploy a more organised hydration regime to make sure that you never find yourself in a waterless situation.:cry:

maurice

I'm sure there must be some form of Ray Mears-esque polythene sheet/condensation trapping trick you can do.

Tony

Er...carry more water. I've carried up to eight litres when touring places like Australia. And sod a shower in those circumstances!

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Garden hoses, cemetries, petrol stations...

Magna

I once ran out of water going across the pennines and started to suffer before I reached Alston I think. I got off my bike and walked along the road signalling to passing motorists with an upturned empty water bottle (I swear I was a bit delerious!). After 20 cars pased I realised I would just have to continue so without any real difficulty got to the next town and filled up my 5l water carrier which I blatantly should have filled at the previous town but wanted to push on to the next up the hills without the weight- foolish!

I have long considered an expensive water filter as it would grant me one less thing to be reliant upon society for on my tours.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I always make sure i have taken on water mid afternoon, especially if there is any prospect of a wild camp looming...in France this meant two full water bottles and a seperate 1.5 litre bottle of water for cooking etc. Coke bottles work.

ChrisKH

Guru
My wife very kindly bought me a bidon recently not realising it was also a water filter. Combined with water tablets it would be an ideal way to supplement water in the event of a sudden wild camp. I have kept it in the unlikely event that I start touring again.

jags

Guru
chriskh, that sounds like a handy thing to have . can you let us know what make it is, or have you a link as to where i could get one thanks.

Top Bottom