1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waterproof clothing any good?

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by davidwalton, 29 Nov 2007.

1. davidwalton

davidwalton New Member

2. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

The Altura stuff is very good and you won't go far wrong with those.

3. OP
    OP
    davidwalton

davidwalton New Member

Thanks. As an x Biker, I found that even stuff that said it was 100% waterproof wasn't, and that which was lasted perhaps a year before water got in. Trousers always went first at the crotch.

Is this not the case with these?, or have things improved?

4. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

5. Peyote

Peyote New Member

Never been convinced about waterproofs, I always end up sweating so much in them that it would probably be better just to get rained on. It would certainly be more fragrant! These days I just wear stuff that is quick drying and warm when wet, e.g. merino wool base layer with a fleecey type top, I believe most marketing folk these days call them 'softshells'.

Hope that's useful.

6. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

sure thing, this one has pit vents and some sort of vent on the back, and hopefully the relative expense means a better performing fabric

sometimes when it's really not nice and I'm not really in the mood I genuinely do want to be kept more or less dry though

and I'm as much interested in it being a warm and very visible top for the evenings

7. Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat New Member

I find that there is no such thing as waterproof and breathable. A jacket always comes somewhere in between the two

8. Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat New Member

Pit vents are always a bonus.

9. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

granted, although I'm hoping things have moved on a lot since my last top, for £12 about fifteen years ago ...

I certainly don't mind the waterproof being compromised rather than sweating to death

10. Noodley

Noodley Guest

11. OP
    OP
    davidwalton

davidwalton New Member

As good as the Endura Superlite waterproof Jacket maybe, I need something larger to get my shoulders in as well.:biggrin: Chest = 45, but shoulders require 48

12. tomb1960

tomb1960 New Member

I have a night-vision jacket, it is waterproof, and it does light up brilliantly in car headlights, but it doesn't completely keep up with the moisture I sometimes produce! I doubt any fabric (with the possible exception of a string vest) can 'breathe' quickly enough to keep up with the moisture a middle-aged man can pour out when under effort!

13. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Has nobody told you to take the coathanger out? :biggrin:;)

14. Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

I was looking at cycling waterproofs today. Can't decide whether to get a cycling specific one or a multi-activity one which I used to have and has mysteriously disappeared (cue X-file music). This one Good for summer walking and running. I think they had some Enduras, might go back and have another look.

15. Noodley

Noodley Guest

IME anything designed for "multi sports" is too heavy/warm for cycling. Even many cycling specific jackets result in much sweat and, as has previously been stated, you'd be as well getting wet from the rain and just wearing something warm. Which is what I did until I got the superlites.