Waterproof clothing any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
alfablue said:
Gore fabrics have a lifetime "keep you dry" guarantee, and they genuinely live up to it (regardless who manufactured the garment). Over the years I have tested this out a few times and I have always got a new replacement or a full refund when they have failed, with no quibble and no receipts - for this reason I would always choose Gore over other fabrics.

Yes, precisely my experience. Have had a number of new jackets 'gratis' because of this. You could argue that that's good but my view is contrary and look at it from the perspective of I've never had a good Gore-tex jacket. One, depressingly, lasted less than 12 months. Since then, I've used a variety of other breathables from different manufacturers. All have been adequate and cheaper than Gore-tex and seemed to have stood the test of time better (I could always tell when the Gore's had failed).

With regard to breathibility - In our climate, especially in summer in the rain you are on to a loser if you think you're going to be bone dry. Try a hard crisp winter walk if you want to see how well they really work.

....And we'd better not go into the down or synthetic sleeping bag debate......

alfablue

Crackle said:
Yes, precisely my experience. Have had a number of new jackets 'gratis' because of this. You could argue that that's good but my view is contrary and look at it from the perspective of I've never had a good Gore-tex jacket. One, depressingly, lasted less than 12 months. Since then, I've used a variety of other breathables from different manufacturers. All have been adequate and cheaper than Gore-tex and seemed to have stood the test of time better (I could always tell when the Gore's had failed).
I am tending to agree with this, and because (over about 12 years) I have had 5 Gore-Tex failures (jacket x 3, boots x 2) I experimented with some other brands, including Lowe Alpine and Altura, but they too have failed. The Altura jackets (Reflex) in particular were fabulous - very light and good breathability, but both lasted less than 8 months. I got my money back from Wiggle (they are very good, but may have balked at refunding a 3 or 4 year old jacket) and I am reluctantly back in the Gore fold.

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

Seems Gore Jackets are a lot more expensive than the £50'ish I just paid for my jacket, plus they don't like larger sizes.

When something is twice or more in cost like this, are you getting the same VALUE?

APPEARS that none are great, so an average priced jacket that covers the fundamentals SHOULD be better value, even if having to replace it twice as often I would have thought.

Blue

Legendary Member
alfablue said:
Well, the idea of the DWR is to allow the water to bead-up and not clog the pores. Agreed, there are always limits to breathability, and undoubtedly in extreme conditions (the thunderstorm could be more or less like having the garment immersed in water) then this can happen, but to generalise simplistically that "if it's raining the sweat stays inside the garment as the rain blocks the pores." is still wrong IMHO - if it were true then no waterproof would offer any breathability, in ANY rain. Both my own experience, and more convincingly, Gore's extensive testing of breathability under rain conditions, shows this is not the case.

Fair enough, I may not have the science on my side. Whatever the cause, you can get wet inside breathable fabrics in some conditions.

alfablue

Well, if the Gore lasts 2 years then is replaced free of charge and lasts two years, then is replaced free of charge etc (potentially, for life), then it is truly better value than one half the price that lasts 2 years. I'm not knocking the £50 jacket, I just like to pay the extra for peace of mind.

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

alfablue said:
Well, if the Gore lasts 2 years then is replaced free of charge and lasts two years, then is replaced free of charge etc (potentially, for life), then it is truly better value than one half the price that lasts 2 years. I'm not knocking the £50 jacket, I just like to pay the extra for peace of mind.

As long as it does the job, and it fits, that is;)

Tynan

Veteran
bought the night vision top today and it looks good, alarmingly bright and a nice fit

the pit vents look very good, they run from just under the armpit downwards for about 18 inches so I imagine they'll allow a lot of ventilation, the fleecey neck come fairly high too and is nicely snug on the neck

looking forward to giving a try

bought the whizbang 10 led cateye rear light too

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

I found an older style Night Vision jacket for £30, at
https://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1608&cPath=79

Only in XXL though.

It is still very bright, Waterproof/windproof, just missing front pocket from 07 model.

jashburnham

I don't really see the point of waterproofs when cycling (apart from overshoes as I hate cycling with wet feet) keeping warm is my priority and I can cope with being wet as long as I'm still warm. As others have pointed out most waterproofs just trap the sweat. I reckon moisture wicking windproof kit is the key. Personally I swear by Castelli stuff, their "Solo" windproof jacket is excellent when worn with layers and will keep a bit of rain off.

Chris James

Über Member
Peyote said:
Never been convinced about waterproofs, I always end up sweating so much in them that it would probably be better just to get rained on. It would certainly be more fragrant! These days I just wear stuff that is quick drying and warm when wet, e.g. merino wool base layer with a fleecey type top, I believe most marketing folk these days call them 'softshells'.

Hope that's useful.

I agree, I very rarely wear waterproof, but then again I try to avoid riding in the rain where possible.

Generally speaking windproofing is more important that waterproofing and so a windproof front jacket or gilet is better as they are less sweaty.

Pertex is a good compromise as the jackets are cheap, roll up small, shower proofand much more breathable than a waterproof.

Chris James

Über Member
alfablue said:
I use Gore Pac-Lite and find it very good, but I believe eVent fabrics claim higher breathability, however it is heavier, and more importantly, Gore fabrics have a lifetime "keep you dry" guarantee, and they genuinely live up to it (regardless who manufactured the garment). Over the years I have tested this out a few times and I have always got a new replacement or a full refund when they have failed, with no quibble and no receipts - for this reason I would always choose Gore over other fabrics.

As far as I am aware, Event is no heavier than Paclite. In fact it should be lighter due to the fact that Event completely misses out the oil resistant layer whereas IIRC paclite has a 'dotted' layer designed to reduce weight from the full goretex material.

The weight of jackets is not determined by the laminate used but instead by the weight of the face fabrics. - i.e. paclite jackets are light due to the face fabrics and Event jackets can also be made very light. Of course paclite is aimed squarely at fast and light users whereas some Evenet jackets are desigend for heavy mountain use so they will definitely be heavier!

By the way, on the breathability issue, the 'breathability' is affected by a humidity gradient accross the jacket. So the 'blocked pores' comment was incorrect but was effectively true for a jacket with a poor or wetted out DWR. i.e. a wet surface prevents the jacket from breathing as there is not a +ve humidity gradient across the laminate. So perversely breathable waterproof jackets breathe best when worn in cold dry conditions!!

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

Chris James said:
I agree, I very rarely wear waterproof, but then again I try to avoid riding in the rain where possible.

Generally speaking windproofing is more important that waterproofing and so a windproof front jacket or gilet is better as they are less sweaty.

Pertex is a good compromise as the jackets are cheap, roll up small, shower proofand much more breathable than a waterproof.

Waterproof MAY be a waste on long journeys, but for getting a few miles up or down the road, waterproofs have a place I would have thought. I need to be able to get off a bike and inside dry after a 3 mile ride. Either I buy waterproofs, or I take a complete change of clothing.

With almost every Waterproof jacket I looked at, it was also Windproof, which appears to be favoured. No harm therefore in having the extra waterproofing, especially at £30.

Chris James

Über Member
davidwalton said:
Waterproof MAY be a waste on long journeys, but for getting a few miles up or down the road, waterproofs have a place I would have thought. I need to be able to get off a bike and inside dry after a 3 mile ride. Either I buy waterproofs, or I take a complete change of clothing.

With almost every Waterproof jacket I looked at, it was also Windproof, which appears to be favoured. No harm therefore in having the extra waterproofing, especially at £30.

All waterproof coats are windproof. The problem is that they have much lower breathability than a simple windproof jacket, making you sweat more, meaning you get wetter!

But yes, for short journeys and low intensity efforts then waterproofs are good. Especially for commuting in your work clothes for example.

Plax

Guru
I'm in favour of waterproofs, but that's because I have tried both ways and I much prefer being warm and sweaty than cold & wet. Particularly with my feet, hence I wear overshoes. I still have nightmares over the time my shoes filled up with water, my sports socks absorbed as much as possible and it was like horrible, cold and squelchy. Ugh. Waterproofs all the way, especially on the commute into work as it's a sod trying to dry your gear if it's completely soaked through.

I have nothing but good things to say about my Altura Nevis jacket. My overtrousers are just normal waterproofs for hiking in so can sweat a lot from the inside if your really going for it, but as I said warm and sweaty for me any day!

Top Bottom