Waterproof clothing any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris James

Über Member
I agree for a commute but not for a high tempo spin. To me the choice is either extremely hot and sweating profusely or warm and damp. I prefer the latter. I never get cold and wet because my undergarments are wicking and non absorbent and the top layer is windproof to prevent windchill.

It's the same theory as pile and pertex Buffalo jackets for winter mountaineering. Not waterproof but in real conditions warmer than goretex layering system.

I have never ridden in over trousers even when I used to have my daily commute into Manchester city centre (not from Huddersfield!!). I wear overshoes too.

Tynan

Veteran
overshoes a must, damp is okish, soaked feet are horrid

worn the nightvision two days running and it's undeniably warm, I rode with it and the layer underneath unzipped to near the navel, although I was wearing a decent long sleeve PI top underneath, time to try something lighter I think

it's a nice comfy top though and It's certainly makes a difference with being seen

Blue

Legendary Member
Chris James said:
So the 'blocked pores' comment was incorrect but was effectively true for a jacket with a poor or wetted out DWR. i.e. a wet surface prevents the jacket from breathing as there is not a +ve humidity gradient across the laminate. So perversely breathable waterproof jackets breathe best when worn in cold dry conditions!!

That comment was mine - but you make the point that I was trying to get across in my 'wrong science' way!!

I have extensive experience of using Gore-tex garments for both running and mountain climbing so I am aware of the realities of the situation, if not the science behind it.

I moved to pertex garments for running and cycling for the reasons you mentioned in one of your posts.

Top Bottom