waterproofness of nexus hubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carvelos

I would like to build a nexus geared hub into my ancient Raleigh Discovery MTB and will be using it to commute on across fields, gritty cycle paths and thru sheep poo. I wondered if anyone has advice about how good these hubs are at keeping out the splosh?
I have an alfine on my circe tandem but it gets treated with more a lot more care than the abuse I am about to inflict on the Raleigh

Chris S

Legendary Member
If they're anything like Sturmey Archer AW hubs then they're not waterproof. You can oil them till it drips out of the sides. Dirt doesn't seem to get in with normal use though. I suppose they're about as waterproof as a cup and cone bottom bracket.

alicat

Legendary Member
I've got a Shimano Nexus 7 hub geared bike that gets very little tlc. I think it would cope fine with the environment that you are describing.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If they're anything like Sturmey Archer AW hubs then they're not waterproof. You can oil them till it drips out of the sides. Dirt doesn't seem to get in with normal use though. I suppose they're about as waterproof as a cup and cone bottom bracket.
The Nexus 3 is similar to an AW but slightly better in the braked models because the brake fits over one end (rather than sitting in the end on Sturmeys) and the bell crank shift box fits over the open axle end (rather than it being basically open to the air on Sturmey), each giving a bit more protection against splashes getting in. Basically, they are pretty splashproof and as long as you keep it lubed (with whatever approach you choose), water ingress is not severe. They are not waterproof so do not immerse if possible and service ASAP after if you do.

I don't have one but understand that the 7, 8 and 11 have better seals (well, they have seals) but no shift box, so probably similar.

Top Bottom