Wayhaaa :-) Its a new bike for me today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good afternoon,

... I can't wait for tomorrow evening to try it out and put it through it paces.

Great news, just be careful. :smile:

When I got my modern bike I got out of the saddle to go up a hill and got a real shock, instead of the frame flexing and not much happening the bike just moved forward ..... really really fast and I nearly fell off!

Bye

Ian

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Once home I've just given it the once over and was pleasantly surprised to find £7 tucked away in the saddle bag that he must of forgotten about ( should I tell him and be honest :-)

It's probably his secret stash of beer money. If you give it back, he'll spend it on beer and that'll lead to alcoholism. After a good few years his liver will fail and he'll die leaving behind a wife and probably kids. They'll blame you. You'll get sued and you'll go bankrupt leading to a drinking addiction. Then your liver will fail and you'll end up dead.
Keep the money and survive longer!

Good find on the bike though :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks for all the positive posts. It's ironic but I haven't had chance to ride it yet. It's been a busy old week so far, running around doing loads of favours for friends and family members plus I've been feeling rather under the weather of late. Hopefully tomorrow night when I've caught up with everything I will get a chance to take it out for it's maiden voyage ( more like a an hour around the roads :=).
I'm really looking forward to it too ! :-)

classic33

Leg End Member
It's probably his secret stash of beer money. If you give it back, he'll spend it on beer and that'll lead to alcoholism. After a good few years his liver will fail and he'll die leaving behind a wife and probably kids. They'll blame you. You'll get sued and you'll go bankrupt leading to a drinking addiction. Then your liver will fail and you'll end up dead.
Keep the money and survive longer!

Good find on the bike though :smile:
If it includes £1 notes, his "secret stash of beer money" is thirty years old at least. £1 note went in 88!

classic33

Leg End Member
Not here ^_^
Mind, I've not seen one for ages.
RBS being the last one, lower left.
CAM00978-1.jpg

Attachments

• CAM00979.jpg
    CAM00979.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again. I sent him a message the other day telling him I found some money in the saddle bag that he left. He replied straight away and told me to have a pint with it.. Very decent of him and duly thanked him.
Tonight was the bikes maiden voyage under my ownership. It rode beautifully along the road but it was also noticeably different from my old steel 80s Peugeot. The first thing I noticed was how hollow it sounded compared to the pug. Once I got warmed up I really started to appreciate the easy and accessible gears on the levers. Before I would often be to lazy to be bothered to change gear on the down tub levers and would grind my way up hill before admitting defeat, but these new style gears saw me changing all the time as each gradient came and went. Riding like this will surely eak out very slight gains in overall average riding speeds. I also tackled a few good hills and this was where the extra weight saving was felt. The bike felt a lot more lively when I was out the saddle going for gold ( more like bronze lol)
After a good few miles though, I started to notice it was not as comfortable as the pug. My legs felt somewhat not stretched enough whilst spinning the pedals and I started to get numbness in my hands. It obviously needed a few tweeks in saddle height etc to get it just right. Once home I put my Pug side bike next to the Specialized. Both saddles were exactly the same height but the bottom bracket on the Specialized has a slightly higher ground clearance and slightly longer crank arms. To me this obviously explains why I felt a little cramped. I just simply raised the saddle and moved it back a fraction to solve it. Adjusting the seat higher though was only going to make my problems of having numb hands even worse. Again comparing the pug to my new bike I noticed the bars were a good 1" 1/5 inch lower on the Specialized. To sort this I've flipped the stem to raise the bars. After another good ride it now feels so much more better and comfortable. I will no doubt do some more slight alterations to seat height etc in the coming weeks to perfect it.
So overall very pleased and can't wait to get out on it again.
All the very best,
Johnny :-)

Top Bottom