Ways to deter motorists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Towing a trailer containing a gas bottle had a similar effect (see recent post in "tales from today's utility ride"
More chance of it being the trailer, rather than the contents of the box on the trailer.

Sharky

Guru
"Ways to deter motorists" is not a good way to start a discussion. Roads are shared between all road users and the ultimate aim is surely to have harmony.

Would be better to rephrase the opening stance with "Ways to safely share the roads with motorists"

One strategy is education. There are a few schemes in place such as "stay wider than the rider". Motorists need to be educated, but also the cyclists in "defensive" riding. There is much talk of "primary position", but I feel this gives a false sense of security. I prefer being in "primary control". Knowing when to ride out and knowing when to keep in and being the one to choose when a car overtakes, by indicating to the car when you want to be passed.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Can you please let me know any ways to deter motorists in the countryside when riding?

I think (hope) i understand what you are trying to say and achieve but as a motorist myself i seldom see how you can 'deter' motorists away from you. We share the roads with each other, i dare say unfortunately so but no one mode of transport owns the road... Country roads by definition are twisty, narrow and have limited visibility owing to poorly maintained hedgerows and trees. Cars will swing around blind corners at national speed limits and will sometimes slam the anchors on when they see a cyclist right there. How do you prepare for that? Tow a beacon? Honestly, other than making yourself as visible as possible i see no other way. Those long flag poles you often see on recumbent trikes are not a bad idea, hopefully they'll be seen over the hedges. Also bare in mind, pedestrians and joggers use country lanes often with no pavement. Its the way of our networks unfortunately.

Long term, i hope for better cycle and pedestrian networks because as i have said before, this puts a lot of people off before they get started!

Good luck either way and if you invent something, do share!

D

Deleted member 26715

Increase the cost of fuel that will certainly deter some

sheddy

Legendary Member
Dress like a brickie - hard hat, boots, hi-viz.

I would recommend just the hi-viz, get an XL, let it flap, makes you look bigger.
Slows you down but might make em pass wide.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Affix a flashing LED, and an old record player stylus to the end, of one of them sticky out 'keep yr distance' thingies..

Enjoy the satisfying sound of paintwork being modified, on any vehicle that doesn't respect your personal space.

Badgers??

I just shout at em to get out of the way

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Aforementioned gas bottle, paint it green, fashion a pointy nose-cone on it, affix some tailfins and point it in their general direction perhaps ? Otherwise, mock up a piece of pipe to resemble a Panzerfaust ?

D

Deleted member 26715

Slightly seriously a 3rd wheel which when fastened to the bike is 1.5M from the frame with a pole on it with flashing red LED's to the rear & white/amber to the front. It should be made of as lightweight material as possible (carbon fibre) & if it is hit it should detach from the bicycle so as to protect the rider. But it should also be capable of being moved 90 degrees from alongside the cycle to being trailed behind the cycle for when you are on cycle paths or narrow situations.

Slightly seriously a 3rd wheel which when fastened to the bike is 1.5M from the frame with a pole on it with flashing red LED's to the rear & white/amber to the front. It should be made of as lightweight material as possible (carbon fibre) & if it is hit it should detach from the bicycle so as to protect the rider. But it should also be capable of being moved 90 degrees from alongside the cycle to being trailed behind the cycle for when you are on cycle paths or narrow situations.

Sounds overly complicated. I once rode a few miles with a boat hook balanced on my handlebars couched like a jousting lance (long story).
I see no reason that this cannot be adapted into a delivery mechanism for one of those Saving-Private-Ryan-style sticky bombs (and a remote detonator paired to a garmin/wahoo)

Top Bottom