Ways to deter motorists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I reckon price rise / scarcity would help a lot.
The roads were so much nicerer and quieter when we had those fuel shortages however many (eight?) years back.
People suddenly found ways to reduce the number of journeys, or combine them

- that was my experience, living in the country where there's not much public transport at all.

Increase the availability of public transport, lower the cost, and make it more bike friendly with carriers.

Electric cars for the Incapacitated, and small electric trucks for local deliveries.

Oh and I'll need a small tractor that runs on hydrogen fuel cells too, please, if our young inventor op has any time to spare..

I've already invented the Record player stylus, attached to the 'keep your distance' sticky out thingy.

You can have that one for free, in return for the hydrogen powered tractor and loader :okay:
Get yourself some oxen, surely.

KneesUp

Guru
I reckon price rise / scarcity would help a lot.
The roads were so much nicerer and quieter when we had those fuel shortages however many (eight?) years back.
I don't recall there being a significant difference apart from on the first 'Fuel Protest' which was 19 years ago! Time flies.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Get yourself some oxen, surely.

Too much ground taken up for their grazing.

Whereas the solar panels for powering the hydrogen cells can be mounted on the barn roof.

Plus you can't attach a pto* shaft to Oxen.

But milking buffalo, also used for motive power, and trailer work.. Hmn perhaps.

* I did know a guy who had adapted a standard combine harvester to be driven by eight Suffolk Punches..

Now that was inventive.. :smile:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Too much ground taken up for their grazing.

Whereas the solar panels for powering the hydrogen cells can be mounted on the barn roof.

Plus you can't attach a pto* shaft to Oxen.

But milking buffalo, also used for motive power, and trailer work.. Hmn perhaps.

* I did know a guy who had adapted a standard combine harvester to be driven by eight Suffolk Punches..

Now that was inventive.. :smile:
I'm flattered that you think I might have the first clue as to what a pto is, or how its shaft attaches.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm flattered that you think I might have the first clue as to what a pto is, or how its shaft attaches.
Power Take Off, shaft that comes out of the back of a tractor to power auxiliary machinery

winjim

Smash the cistern
Pto..

Power Take Off.

It's the spinny round shaft that comes out of the back of the tractor, to drive the machine such as a mower, that is attached to the tractor.
So you need to convert the pull of an ox to a high torque rotation? Where's that GCSE project thread?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm amazed that we're talking about the infeasibility of converting muscular power output to radial motion... on a cycling forum

It can be done with a bit of ingenuity, and gearing.

You might not get quite the torque as with an infernal combustion engine.

But tbh a lot of machinery..
Especially stuff like power harrows are over aggressive on the soil, and very bad for it.

So an overall reduction on power availability, would be no bad thing in many cases.

I use my tractor mounted rotovator. at something like one third of the recommended rpm, so as to avoid pulversing the soil so badly.

I get some looks* askance from the conventional lot, but it works for me.

* Teflon coated against charges of 'weirdness' at this stage in my game..

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
There are even some fiendishly clever, bicycle adapted bits of kit, used by us intermediate scale farmers :angel:

Top Bottom