We All Want to Support Our LBS......BUT!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
Yeah, was aware of that. Used to work opposite them and still have a more than passing interest in that part of the world. I am a man of no clout nor connections. :sad:
Aye, I'm working along Stockwell Rd myself at the mo',battling engaging with landlords and housing departments on a day-to-day basis. Reminded of cloutlessness every day. Anyway, thread derail.

Cyclist33

I needed 3 new bottle cages so..................
I went to my LBS and chose the one I wanted. The guy was very helpful..........brought his own bike out to show me that THAT is the cage he uses etc...
Deal done (sort of :smile: ).............£10.00 each which I thought was expensive so........................
I just purchased the one and went 1/2 mile to Decathlon.
EXACTLY THE SAME CAGE.............£6.99.
The last cycling item I purchased I found (exactly the same item) nearly 50% cheaper elsewhere and told the LBS---then asked him what he could do. The answer was "nothing".

As I (and others) have said before.............
a) I accept that the LBS can NOT compete with the buying power of the multiples.
b) If the LBS can get "somewhere near" the price I will happily pay the extra
BUT
50% more ?????
Never having run a small business I have no idea what the margins are or what the difference in buying power makes so I am not "having a go" at the LBS..........just the situation.

ditto, i bought my elite custom race bottle cage at decathlon for 6.99, the local shop had them at 12.99, local shop in question markets itself as high end and custom builders and indeed their mechanic is absolutely brilliant, and service charges are pretty reasonable, but for small bits of kit like that its a no brainer for me, six quid saved is a pack of beers or a slap up binge at mrs miggins pie shop.

bpsmith

Veteran
What makes me chuckle is when people rate their LBS' prices as expensive but then say but they're really nice guys in there as if that should be rewarded.

Some of us are really nice guys too, but they don't lower the prices on that basis, so why is it all one way? :smile:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
What makes me chuckle is when people rate their LBS' prices as expensive but then say but they're really nice guys in there as if that should be rewarded.

Some of us are really nice guys too, but they don't lower the prices on that basis, so why is it all one way? :smile:
Mine do . Maybe you're not as nice as you thought you where ? Or I'm just really nice ?

bpsmith

Veteran
Mine do . Maybe you're not as nice as you thought you where ? Or I'm just really nice ?
Might be me, or you, or both. Lol.

In all seriousness though, I struggle to get one of my larger LBS' to price match, despite them advertising on their site. I then ring the number from their site, agree the price match with the online team and that I will collect in store, all while stood in earshot of the floor manager. Online guys get the sales credit and the store guys lose out. Very strange way of doing things.

Wouldn't dream of this in a smaller store mind you!

I am always extremely polite throughout, I might add. :smile:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I use a big chain store and they just look after me so I keep going back . Then again I wouldn't walk out if a water bottle cost £6 more than online .

Might be me, or you, or both. Lol.

In all seriousness though, I struggle to get one of my larger LBS' to price match, despite them advertising on their site. I then ring the number from their site, agree the price match with the online team and that I will collect in store, all while stood in earshot of the floor manager. Online guys get the sales credit and the store guys lose out. Very strange way of doing things.

Wouldn't dream of this in a smaller store mind you!

I am always extremely polite throughout, I might add. :smile:

Maybe because the "online" team can actually check the comparison. :smile:
Wouldnt be unknown for folk to try it on would it :ohmy:

si_c

Guru
Think my LBS just closed :sad: Been shuttered up now for over a week....

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
There is no doubt that if you don't use your local bike shop (and indeed other types of shops) they will go out of business. Whenever and where ever possible, I try to use small businesses. However, being truthful, most times my wallet does the talking and when price differences are >20-30%, it's always hard to justify a small business unless its an emergency.

While I do have sympathy with small businesses, I also think this is just a product of a changing market and business model; for example an online business can have lower operating costs and an economy of scale. And therein lies the rub for me -I wonder how many bike shop owners do their grocery shopping at a small corner shop and not a supermarket? Did they support their local corner shop when supermarkets became popular or just took advantage of substantially lower prices? (OK, I admit that's a rhetorical question as I think we all know the answer.) For positive or negative, times change...

Where I've been living I've seen the center of a nearby town decimated in the last 20 years for small business selling hard products (e.g. a small department store, a furniture shop, an art shop, etc have all gone) but they've largely been replaced with other shops that sell services such as restaurants, dance studios, nail salon, a bar, etc. I can't help but wonder if bike shops can't match volume pricing or don't have enough business for maintenance/mechanicking, they will need to become a bit more than just a bike shop to survive (I know some have evolved into selling coffee, tea, pastries, etc).

HovR

Über Member
Got to say I've been impressed with me LBS (Rockets & Rascals, a small chain of 2 or 3 shops along the south coast), however I don't buy any parts off them if they're ones I'm going to be fitting myself, just can't afford it.

Living in a house with no workshop facilities however means that work I can't do at home (fitting headsets, cutting steerers, bottom brackets for which I don't have the tools etc.) gets sent to them. Really reasonable prices too. Think I paid around £25 for bottom bracket & headset fitting, steerer cutting down, and front end assembling, including some spacers thrown in.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I make a conscious decision not to look up the price of something online and go to the LBS sometimes to buy it. I'm not saying I make all purchases that way, but I know I will be paying more than online but I want him there for the occasions I do need him. A few weeks ago, I was riding with a friend when her headset went (she hadn't noticed any warning signs developing), and as we were so close she popped in and they were able to fit a new one immediately as she needed the bike for a ride the following day. Her old LBS is closing so they have just gained a new customer even though it's out of the way for her.

I've had bits for free out of his bits box, and lots of advice over the years.

bpsmith

Veteran
Maybe because the "online" team can actually check the comparison. :smile:
Wouldnt be unknown for folk to try it on would it :ohmy:
They have the Internet on all till terminals in there and do everything they can to rubbish the comparison product, despite it being the same exact item.

Last year, I wanted some Specialized summer gloves. £35 in store. £12-£15 online at reputable stores. The LBS argued blind that they were "last years colours", despite both pairs being totally black and having same packaging and product code!

bpsmith

Veteran
To counter the above, another local shop, of the larger albeit franchise type setup did offer discount yesterday. My Ultegra 11 speed chain, with £27.99 RRP, was available online as low as £17.99 (Ribble) but £19.99 being the average price on the other regulars (Wiggle, etc.). Shop did it for £22.99, which I could live with in fairness.

That's the balance from having it there and then for me. The downside being that there was no connecting pin in the box, rendering it useless!

The last bit isn't a major issue, as was probably pinched from in store, and have no doubt that it will get replaced later. Ironically, if I had ordered online then I would have a usable chain in the same timescale but with another £5 in the pocket. Lol.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oakley glasses, frame only from Vision Express: £190

Same frame online: £67

Ridiculous.

Top Bottom